Cooking dinner for your family doesn’t have to be an ordeal. Especially if you have a crockpot!
Buy a whole chicken and remove the giblets. (Boil them and serve them as a surprise treat for your dogs.)
Sprinkle the skin with a mixture of your favorite herbs, or use the recommended ones listed in my recipe below.
Stick into your crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours, depending on the size of the chicken. You don’t even need to add water because the chicken will naturally release juices. And after slow roasting for so many hours, the chicken will be moist and tender.
Once the chicken is done, the meat will literally fall off of the bone. It’s like magic! Most of the time I try to remove the chicken whole, but it divides into two or three chunks.
The only potential negative of cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot is that the skin doesn’t get crispy. If you have a rack designed to place in the bottom of your crockpot, this could help. However, the skin retains the added flavor and traps the moisture onto the meat, so don’t remove the skin before cooking.
Pull of the meat and use the chicken as desired. Here are a few helpful dinner ideas:
- Chicken and broccoli alfredo
- Chicken and mango stir fry
- Honey sesame chicken
- Chicken pot pie
- Chicken and vegetable muffins
- Chicken noodle soup
- Chicken and broccoli casserole
If you have the time, make homemade bone broth with your spare chicken bones!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- whole chicken, any weight (make sure it will fit in your crockpot)
- Remove the giblets.
- Chop the onion and lay it on the bottom of the crockpot.
- Combine the spices and rub all over the chicken.
- Place in the crockpot breast side down. (No need to add water, it will make its own juices!)
- Turn on high for 1 hour and then low for 6-8 hours. Or just cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- Don’t forget to make homemade bone broth with your chicken bones!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 250Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 471mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 28g