You know those days with jam packed schedule, and you have no idea how you will squeeze in the time to cook dinner? Don’t resort to takeout food. Take 5 minutes to prep a crockpot meal that tastes better than takeout!
This recipe for Honey Sesame Chicken doesn’t need to simmer all day long. In fact, it can be cooked in as little as 1.5 hours! Did your kids just arrive home from school, and you’re just now taking a moment to consider dinner? Don’t fret! Make this instead. (Win!)
Pull out your handy crockpot, which is your best friend on the busiest days of the week. Dump in chicken breasts, top with honey, soy sauce, and ketchup. Add in diced onion, garlic, and a few sprinkles of seasoning. Let that cook for 1.5-4 hours.
When it’s time to prep dinner, you can have everything ready in less than 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken breasts out of the crock pot. Be careful, they are tender and will pull apart! Dissolve cornstarch into water, then stir that into the juices in the crockpot. Turn the machine on high and let that thicken while you get the rest of the meal on the table.
Boil some instant rice, steam broccoli in the microwave, and shred the chicken. Easy-peasy!
Place a spoonful of rice, a scoop of broccoli, and a helping of shredded chicken into each bowl. At this point, your sauce should be as thick as the takeout version! Spoon it over each bowl and enjoy your last-minute, better-than-takeout dinner!
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire
- Optional: 2 Tbsp Dale’s Steak Seasoning
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (This adds flavor, not heat!)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder dissolved in 6 Tbsp water
- Sesame seeds to sprinkle on top
- In the crockpot, mix to combine all of the ingredients except for the chicken, cornstarch/arrowroot powder, and water.
- Place the chicken breasts into the crock pot, and cover with the sauce mixture.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours, or high for 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours.
- After it’s finished cooking, remove the chicken breasts to another bowl, and cover.
- Dissolve the cornstarch/arrowroot powder into the water, then stir into the crockpot. Turn it onto high power and let sit for 10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Shred the chicken and return it to the sauce in the crockpot.
- Optional: sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve with steamed broccoli over a bed of rice.
In a hurry? This can be cooked in as little as 1.5 hours in your crockpot!
You can serve this over quinoa instead of rice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 595Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 2191mgCarbohydrates: 92gFiber: 3gSugar: 75gProtein: 44g