I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign to bring you an easy chicken dinner meal. I received special perks in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.
I have to admit something: I have never decorated a holiday table! It was always my husband’s favorite thing to do! My decorations skills lack creativity (per my husband). I am not offended when he says that! Because I do like decorating (and I believe I have some decorating skills) but I lack the time to do it! Between shopping for the holiday recipe, preparing it, cleaning the house, etc. The table decoration is the least of my concerns! So I let the man in my life take charge of this and he is proud of it! (you know that little trick that women do: make them feel important and let them help you! ) But this year I decided to take charge of my holiday table! I felt it was time to showcase some skills to the man in my life!
Finding inspiring decorating ideas for an amazing holiday table
I headed to my favorite store: Winners Homesense! I get most of my decorations there! Of course, I spent hours on Pinterest searching for the perfect table decorations and none of them was satisfying enough! The only thing I knew before heading to the store was that I wanted a red theme because I have red and black plates!
I found gorgeous ideas at Winners! I bought a nice table cloth, the matching sets as well as candle to use as a centerpiece! I was just afraid it was too much red! But I remembered I had nice white glasses at home to alleviate the red! I don’t want my guests to feel that it was too much!
I came back home, excited with my findings! I set up the table (with the help of my children). I did not involve my husband. My ego did not want that. I wanted to impress! Once the table set, I went to cook a nice meal to serve! I wanted to find an easy chicken dinner meal that everyone would love.
Since I spent most of my morning shopping for decorations and decorating my table, I chose a nice easy recipe that is also suitable as a holiday meal. You don’t want to spend your day in the kitchen when you are having guests over? Do you? I recreated a recipe from Chicken.ca website! Again, I spent a long time looking for a holiday recipe! They have a large selection of recipes that it was hard to choose! I chose the Broccoli and chicken casserole! I usually serve casseroles with my holiday meals because they are easy to make and very popular with the kids! They can be served as a complement or as an entire easy chicken dinner meal.
Broccoli and Chicken Casserole: A easy chicken dinner meal
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups (315 mL) 2% milk
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) white pepper, ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) basil, dried
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) whole wheat egg white noodles, dry
- 2 cups (500 mL) broccoli, florets and stems, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) yellow peppers, diced
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) zucchini, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sweet paprika
- Prepare the white sauce: melt the better, add the flour and stir! Add milk and stir until it boils! Make sure to stir all the time! Add cheese, pepper, basil! Turn off heat and set aside (don’t lick it all: this sauce is just so delicious! I added to my lasagna and kids love it)
- Then prepare the noodles as per directions
- During the last minutes of pasta cooking: add the vegetables!
- Drain and add to a large bowl
- Stir in white sauce into the pasta
- Spray a 9 X 13 –inch oven-proof casserole with a non cooking spray!
- Add the pasta, top with cheese and paprika
- Cook for 30 minutes on 375
And you have a delicious easy chicken dinner meal within 30 minutes!
Celebrate the holidays with a Cozy Chicken Twitter Party
Chicken Farmers of Canada want to help you celebrate the holidays and all the fun cooking that goes along with them!
Twitter party details
Date: December 5th, 2013
Time : 9 PM EST
Second, in order to help prepare for the Holiday season, the fine folks at Chicken Farmers of Canada are providing an amazing prize pack for one very lucky Canadian reader! Entrants must be 18+ to enter and will have 48 hours to respond.
This giveaway will run from 30 -‐ Dec 14th.
● $100 Visa Gift card
● Chicken Farmers of Canada Swag Kit -‐ oven mitts, cutting board & apron
● Emile Henry Lasagna Set
Wow, you could make an amazing easy chicken dinner meal with all that!
What do you think of this easy chicken dinner meal? Do you like my table setting decor? Think I can take over the job from my husband?