When you are trying to understand how bullying works, these Bullying Facts About Bullying In History are important to consider. Bullying is not something new. It has been around for centuries in various ways. While there are many reasons we can already have to hate bullying, here are some well known things in history that can back up your claims that bullying is no laughing matter.
Bullying Facts About Bullying In History
- Bullying is known to have existed as far back as the mid 1500’s, but wasn’t mentioned in detail for a few more centuries. There have been texts found that date back as early as the 1530’s that claim individuals were being verbally and physically abused by their peers, which would be considered bullying by today’s standards.
- 1862 the term was made well known by a newspaper publication covering a soldiers death due to abuse and bullying by other men in the military.
- In 1970 Don Olweus was the first research professor in psychology known to study bullying and its effects on students. This research gave insight into how minor bullying could come back and cause issues many years down the road. His research gave a significant increase in understanding and acceptance of the term bullying in society.
- 1998 the Starr Report was released indicating an extramarital affair between President Bill Clinton and his White House intern Monica Lewinsky. While she admits to being at fault in this situation, this date is significant for the beginning of what may be one of the first known cyber bullying case. From that point forward, Ms. Lewinsky was unable to live a normal life without pictures, quotes and recordings of her doing even basic things like grocery shopping being posted on the Internet.
- 2006 Matthew Shephard was the first highly publicised homosexual killed or his sexual orientation. His brutal death was a turning point in the LGBT community and their fight against hatred. The term hate crime became part of our vocabulary at this point, and has been used consistently since in reference to bullying in the LGBT community.
Related: Cyber Bullying Facts
These bullying facts about bullying in history are there to prove that it is not something that has just become an issue in the last few years. Bullying has existed amongst children and adults for hundreds of years. It is not something to overlook, scoff at or pretend is a problem “in their head”. Bullies exist. Children are abused by bullies. Adults are abused by bullies. It is time to fight back with our words and efforts to stop this crime.
Do you know of any facts about bullying in history that we missed? Share in the comments!