Sloppy joe is the meal of childhood, along with spaghetti, tacos, and meatloaf. (I’m sensing a pattern…it must be the delicious beef!) And thankfully we can all be children at heart and enjoy sloppy joes throughout adulthood.
As a weeknight chef, sloppy joes couldn’t be easier. At minimum, it requires browning some beef (or turkey), tossing in ketchup, and spooning it onto buns. Simple, tasty, and filling.
But I prefer to spice things up, literally and figuratively. The pan warms with olive oil before I toss in diced onion and garlic. In my husband’s opinion, that’s the best smell – especially when the aroma hits him walking in the door from work!
While that’s simmering, I grate carrots or zucchini (because every parent wants to sneak in vegetables!). Next I brown the beef with the onions and garlic. Finally, I add in the secret veggies and the sauce.
Don’t be overwhelmed by the idea of a homemade sauce; this one is straightforward and delightable to everyone’s taste buds. It’s a combination of ketchup, barbeque sauce, worcestershire, and (optional) red pepper flakes. Give that a whirl and thoroughly combine with the meat mixture for perfect sloppy joes.
Curious to make your own biscuits to replace store-bought buns? You can’t go wrong with my go-to quick biscuits or these fluffy whole wheat biscuits.
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 to matoes, diced
- ½ pound of ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- cooking cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place ground beef in a pan with a dash of salt and pepper. Heat until the beef is no longer red. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, cook the eggplant, tomatoes, olive oil, and garlic until eggplant is fully cooked.
- Place the ingredients in a greased casserole dish layer by layer in this order: eggplant mixture, ground beef, then cheese on top.
- If you would like it to be more creamy, then you can add 4 tablespoons of cooking cream.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g