Tax refund season is an exciting time for many of us! With a sudden influx of money, we are faced with so many decisions. What should we do with it? Should we splurge and take a vacation? Be wise and pay off our debts? A little of both? Decisions, decisions!
I have a few suggestions on how to spend that tax refund that combine fun and practicality. Of course, how many things you can do on the list depends entirely on how much you get back. Consider it a starting point for brainstorming other ways to spend that tax refund.
5 Ways to Spend Your Tax Refund to Better Your Life
- Energy-efficient home appliances. Okay, so maybe a new washer and dryer isn’t exactly fun, unless you love doing laundry! A new stove, on the other hand, could be exciting for foodies. If you’re still using old, energy-draining appliances, consider using your tax refund to update to newer, more efficient models. You’ll save money in the long run, putting even more in your pocket next year.
- A Staycation. Rather than spending your entire tax refund on a faraway getaway, take a smaller portion of it and plan a few fun days in your own town. Visit your tourism center for ideas on new places to check out. When we live in a town, we tend to ignore those fun touristy areas, figuring we’ll get to them eventually. Time spent with family is always a good investment!
- Classes to learn a new skill. I’ve had a beautiful DSLR camera for over a year now. Guess what? I still shoot on auto. Why? Because I need someone to show me how to use all the buttons and wheels! If you’ve been dying to learn a new skill, take some of your tax refund and invest it into your own education. Who knows, you could turn a hobby into a profitable business when you’re done!
- Gift cards for holiday shopping. If you typically use your tax refund to pay off the holidays, break the pattern of giving credit card companies a fortune in interest. Instead, set your budget for December now, then buy a gift card in that amount. Put it away until it’s time to get started on your holiday shopping at the end of the year!
- A new-to-you set of wheels. Whether you’re like me and driving around in a car that could cease functioning at any moment or just need a second family car, your tax refund can help you put a nice down payment on a great used vehicle. DriveTime can help you find your dream car with just a few mouse clicks. I found a couple of cars that I would love, including this super pretty and very roomy 2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring.
The DriveTime used car search is actually really fun to use. It’s easy to select only the makes that you prefer, set your mileage preferences, body type, years and more. It’s even easy for someone like me who doesn’t know much about cars, as the details on each car are written in plain language (meaning a girl who barely knows where her windshield washer fluid goes can read it!).
Check out the DriveTime dealership locator to find out if there are dealerships in your area, then invest in your dream car with your tax refund.
Using your tax refund in ways that improve your home, family or life is never a waste of money. Whether its time with your family or a smart used car purchase, these things keep giving long after tax season ends.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of DriveTime. The opinions and text are all mine.