Bullying can do a real number on your self-esteem! Whether you’re dealing with it now or still recovering from a childhood trauma, we want to help! Check out these 20 brilliant ways to build self-confidence and be happier!
Growing up in the 1980’s as a chubby kid taught me full well how mean kids and people can actually be. Even though part of me believes that most people have good in them, no matter what we think, being bullied has taken its toll. Many times, the way we were teased in our childhood can leak into our adult lives and we can wave goodbye to our self-confidence or self-esteem. But how do we rebuild our self-confidence if we grow and don’t have any? Let’s find out! We researched and found 20 awesome ideas for building self-confidence and being happy, especially with yourself!
20 Ways to Build Self-Confidence
Whether or not you can accomplish all 20 of these ideas, at least keep an open mind and try out a few of them.
- Hygiene and Grooming–I don’t know many women or men for that matter, that don’t feel better about themselves when they are freshly showered and dressed up, even just casually. Remember how it feels to wear new clothes? That’s what we’re talking about.
- Dress for Success–no, not to land a job-though it’s a great idea, we’re talking about confidence success. You want to feel confident, dress your best, and be sure to show it off!
- Think Positive–that old 80’s song “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” comes to mind when we think about positive thinking. Life is too short to be negative all of the time, think positive!
- Disregard the Negative–negativity, bye bye. When you catch yourself thinking negative thoughts, remove them with a thought that makes you happy..puppies, rainbows, and so forth.
- Know Yourself–you must KNOW yourself in order to gain self-confidence. Know your habits, know what you like, know who you are..not what anyone else thinks.
- Act Positive–this goes hand in hand with thinking positively. Smiles are infectious, and so is being happy, so give it a try and you’ll feel your confidence boosting with every smile.
- Be Happy and Helpful–Smile, be humble, be kind, be helpful to others as everyone appreciates a happy and helping hand throughout their day.
- Know Your Morals–know your morals and ethics and do not let anyone else rain down on them. Everyone has an opinion, be sure you stick to your beliefs.
- Speak Confidently–a mousy, soft voice, will not get you noticed and will not boost your confidence. Be confident when speaking. Be sure to speak slowly and clearly with confidence dripping from every syllable.
- Use Good Posture–may not seem like much, but slouching doesn’t do much for your confidence or how others view you. Stand up straight, and hold your head high, you are awesome!
- Practice Makes Perfect–Live it, Love it, Learn it! And keep trying until you get it right.
- Change One Thing–a simple yet confident move. Change one simple thing in your life, maybe give up a pop in the morning and drink water everyday instead. Give it about a month, or few weeks, and watch how your confidence will soar by simply changing one little thing in your life. After a month of doing it, you will know you can do most anything you put your mind to, not to mention it’s much healthier.
- Volunteer Work–nothing is more rewarding then volunteering either at a local animal shelter, senior citizens home, hospital, or just out in your community. Volunteering can greatly boost your self-confidence knowing that you were able to help even one person.
- Be Grateful–so you don’t live in an million dollar home and drive a million dollar car? Oh well! Be grateful just for existing and having what you have now, no matter how small it is.
- Clear the Clutter–if your desk or closet is in shambles, it’s time for ‘out with the old and in with the new.’ Clean them up, reorganize, think of it as spring cleaning your confidence.
- Surround Yourself With Positivity–easy peasy, bye bye negatives, hello positives! Know people that put you down at every turn? Then be done with them, and it doesn’t matter whether it’s family or friends, you don’t need them, find better, more positive people and places to hang around in.
- Know Your Talents/Skills–be proud of your talents or skills. You can blow up a balloon with your nose? Then be proud of it! You have talents and skills, feel free to share them with the naysayers!
- Be Proud of YOU–no explanation needed, be proud of YOU!
- Stop Comparing to Others–the beautiful blonde over there has a size 6 waist with flawless skin? Good for her, you have brown hair and freckles with a little bit of extra “junk in the trunk”? So what? You are awesome and beautiful just the way you are! Do not compare yourself to them, we are all our own persons and how boring would it be for all of us to be the same?
- NEVER Be Perfect–Refer to #19, self-explanatory. We are humans, not robots!
Well, there you have it folks, our 20 ways to build your self-confidence. Do you agree with them all, and are there more you’d like to add to the list? Let us know in the comments below!