Want to hear a funny story? When we bought the slow cooker a few years ago, my husband thought it would save us LOTS of time! He thought that we did not need to prep the vegetables or meat before, that the slow cooker would do everything! Really, I told him! I believe that the slow cooker saves a lot of time! We still need to cut the vegetables, etc! But I do not have to worry about the cooking for hours! Whereas with the regular cooking, I need to check it every 20 minutes! What do you think? Do you think slow cooker recipes save time?
Slow cooker recipes are life savers for me! You mix all ingredients, throw them in slow cooker and let it cook while you do your other stuff! But I always cook the same slow cooker recipe , over and over: the beef mushroom and saffron! You know when you like a recipe and you just cook it! I do the same. Until one day you notice that no one is touching his plate! So I try to find new recipes to please my small crowd. I bet you do the same!
Since it is fall and we have those amazing pumpkins and butternut squash vegetables, I try to add them to my weekly cooking schedule (yes I have a weekly calendar for the cooking)! Last week I tried the roasted pumpkin soup! This week I tried this Veal, Apples and Butternut Squash casserole recipe (inspired by my mom). I am not a fan of adding fruits to my meals but it was worth the try!
Slow cooker recipe: Veal, Apples and butternut squash casserole
This is the first time I have cooked butternut in a slow cooker. I usually use it as the main ingredient in my hearty butternut squash soup recipe.
- 2 Apples peeled and diced
- 1 pound of veal for stew! Veal is a bit expensive so I buy it only when it is on sale! You can replace the veal with beef but the taste will not be the same
- 2 tbsp of olive oil. I usually use extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp of flour
- 1 onion minced
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 2 carrots diced
- 1/2 of butternut squash diced! I used a small size butternut squash. I usually put it in the microwave for 7 minutes and dice it after
- salt and pepper
- 3 Cups of vegetable stock
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 2 tbsp of orange zest
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and brown the meat. I find it is very important to brown the meat before adding it to the slow cooker. The flavor will much be better
- In a large saucepan, put the carrots, the butternut squash and meat! Top with the rest of the ingredients and the flour!
- Bring to boil and then transfer to slow cooker!
- Cook for 6 to 7 hours on high heat!
Result: Delicious! I served it with white rice! My teenager needs pasta or rice in each meal! My daughter licked every bit of it!
Would you try apples in your recipes?