As tasty as it is, meat is very expensive and. You can save money on meat by buying in bulk, buying cheaper cuts, grounding your own meat. You can also save money on meat by stretching it and swapping it with other nutritious food. One of the best swaps possible is Mushroom. It is less expensive and contains less calories than ground beef. This approach of replacing some ground beef, turkey or other meat with mushrooms is known as Swpapbility.
This is the best time of year to start this swapability technique: during this month of March: The National Nutrition Month. This campaign focuses attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing good eating habits. It is celebrated by the Mushroom Council, a group of U.S mushroom growers as the perfect time to “get your plate in shape” with mushrooms.
Did you know that with mushrooms:
- You cut back on calories and save money without compromising on the flavor.
- Their flavorful umami content allows for less salt to be used in a dish.
- They are rich in vitamin D, vitamin B.
- They are a leading source of the antioxidants.
- You will still feel full and satisfied after a meal
How you can implement the swapability technique and save money
- Chop up your favorite mushroom variety to match the consistency of the ground beef or turkey;
- Cook and season mushrooms the same way you would meat;
- Combine the cooked meat and mushrooms and use the mix to complete your recipe.
One of my favorite swaps is in burgers. I chop mushrooms and mix them with the ground beef in a food processor. This way I use less meat, save money and eat healthier. You can replace meat with mushroom in the following easy and delicious recipes:
Twitter Party Alert
I love Twitter Party and I am sure you will love this one:
Date and Time: Monday, March 12th at 8:00 PM EST.
Hashtag is #Mushrooms and there will be prizes awarded. (US and Canada, 18+). RSVP is available here. I will tweet with you in the party!
This post is brought to you by Global Influence and the Mushroom Council. All opinions are mine.