Crescent rolls used to be a weekly purchase from the grocery store. Are they a common staple for your family too? They are fluffy and flakey and so easy to make for dinner. Yum!
Have you ever considered baking a homemade version? Yes, it will take a bit more time. (Although please tell me I’m not the only one who has trouble opening those vacuum sealed cans!) But the end results and all-natural ingredients will make you reconsider.
First you combine milk, sugar and yeast. Let those ingredients bubble and brew and make your kitchen smell like heavenly fresh bread! Next, mix in the remaining ingredients. Let your stand mixer and dough hook do the work for you. Smooth it out a bit with your hands by a minute of kneading. Plus, sinking your hands into homemade dough is utterly therapeutic.
After rising for one hour, your dough is ready to be rolled out into a giant circle. Cut the “pie” into eight equal pieces. Do you recognize those triangles? They’re the perfect shape to roll up crescent rolls!
At this point you can simply roll and bake like a traditional crescent roll. Why not try a few suggested fillings:
- Appetizer: Brie cheese and a slice of pear
- Entree: A slice of mozzarella cheese and pepperoni
- Dessert: A smear of butter and some cinnamon sugar
- S’more dessert: A marshmallow and piece of chocolate
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 to matoes, diced
- ½ pound of ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- cooking cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place ground beef in a pan with a dash of salt and pepper. Heat until the beef is no longer red. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, cook the eggplant, tomatoes, olive oil, and garlic until eggplant is fully cooked.
- Place the ingredients in a greased casserole dish layer by layer in this order: eggplant mixture, ground beef, then cheese on top.
- If you would like it to be more creamy, then you can add 4 tablespoons of cooking cream.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g