When you go to a carnival, do you eat the fried dough excessively topped with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar (also known as Elephant’s Ears)? If you’re a fan of those treats, then you will love these Fried Wine Knots even more!
Originally from Italy, this recipe has been passed down for generations. After your first bite, you will understand why it has lingered over the years!
Just like the carnival snack, this recipe starts with a basic dough. But it doesn’t stay basic for long because you’re going to knead in vin santo, a sweet wine. (Don’t forget to enjoy a small glass while you are preparing your dough, too!)
After the dough rests for an hour, it’s time to roll it out into a large sheet, approximately ⅛ of an inch thick.
Next, slice the sheet into 1 inch strips (either using a knife or a fancy pastry wheel).
Then, shape the strips into knots so they resemble an awareness ribbon.
Fry the knots in a bit of olive oil until they puff up into a delicious warm brown color.
Allow them to drain on a paper towel for a minute to absorb the excess oil, then generously sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Take a bite and be transported to Italy, or a carnival, or wherever you feel happiest!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp salted butter, melted
- 4 Tbsp vin santo (or any sweet wine)
- Olive oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar, to sprinkle on top
- Combine the egg with sugar, vanilla, and butter. Gradually incorporate the flour.
- Add the vin santo (or sweet wine) and knead the dough for 5 minutes, until smooth. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for 1 hour.
- Heat up ¼ inch of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Roll out the dough until it is ⅛ of an inch thick. Cut into strips approximately 1 inch wide.
- Cross each strip into a ribbon, so that one end is looped and the other ends are loose like a scarf. (Think the shape of an awareness ribbon.)
- Fry a few knots at a time, until they puff up and darken to a golden color.
- Let rest on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Sprinkled with powdered sugar before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 44mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 4g