We were sitting around the table with our small group, everyone complimenting the hostess on her tasty breaded chicken and roasted vegetables. “Yeah I usually bread them in crispy fried onions” she said. My jaw immediately dropped. I love onions, so my tastebuds immediately began salivating at the thought of chicken coated in crunch onions.
So later that week, I bought a can of crispy fried onions to try this recipe out for myself. (Yes—you can buy these year round, not just around Thanksgiving!)
First, I preheated my cast iron skillet to medium high heat with a bit of olive oil.
Then I whisked the eggs together with a fork, and smashed the crispy fried onions in a zip bag until I was left with chunky breadcrumbs.
After slicing the chicken into strips (this step isn’t necessary, but it does provide more surface area for the onions to stick to the meat), I dipped the chicken into the egg and then into the breadcrumbs. The result was a well-coated piece of meat!
I lightly fried them up in the skillet until fully cooked, about 4-5 minutes per side.
I dipped mine into honey mustard, and my husband dipped his in barbecue sauce. We had mashed potatoes and green beans on the side for a perfectly southern meal!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups crispy fried onions, smashed
- Preheat a skillet to medium high heat with 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- Place the crispy fried onions in a zip bag and smash until they become small breadcrumbs.
- Slice the chicken breasts into strips, then dip each strip into the beaten egg until fully coated.
- Place the chicken strips into the zip bag with the chunky breadcrumbs, and shake until combined. You many need to press the chicken strips into the breadcrumbs to make sure they stick well.
- Fry in the skillet for 4-5 minutes per side or until fully cooked.
- Enjoy as they are, or dip into your favorite sauce!
Dip in your favorite sauce!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 195mgSodium: 386mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 42g