Sometimes I look in my fridge and find a hodgepodge of random veggies. What can I do with such an odd mixture? When I’m at a loss, I make a hash.
I define hash as an assortment of meat and veggies cooked in one skillet. In this instance, I used chicken, apples, sweet potatoes, and brussel sprouts. Plus onions, because I put onions in everything!
First, I preheated my cast iron skillet. If you don’t have a cast iron, you should consider getting one, but you can also use any large skillet for this recipe.
Dice up the onion and the chicken, then toss with olive oil in the skillet.
While that cooks, steam your sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts. Tip: steam these separately because they will cook at different rates. I recommend steaming the brussel sprouts on the stove, and the peeled sweet potatoes in the microwave.
Once those are steaming, stir your chicken and onions, which should be nearly cooked.
Peel and dice your apples, then toss them into your skillet.
Add your sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts once they are nearly done.
Mix everything together with a cup of chicken broth and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add the seasoning of your choice (I opted for Parmesan cheese and cajun seasoning), and serve immediately.
I know what you’re thinking: that’s a lot of steps! You’re right, it kinda is. But I found that the timing of doing one ingredient at a time was perfect. First onion, then chicken, then sweet potatoes, then brussel sprouts, then apples, then combine everything. Ta-da!
Plus, plain meat and 3 sides can become boring. I’ve found that my family appreciates when I mix in a hash skillet dinner every once in a while!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into one inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 package brussel sprouts
- 2-3 apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Preheat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat with olive oil.
- Add the onion and chicken to the skillet and stir.
- Steam the brussel sprouts on the stove using a steam basket.
- Steam the sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe dish with a few tablespoons of water until fork tender.
- Add the apples, brussel sprouts, and sweet potatoes to the skillet after the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add the broth and seasoning of your choice, and let the hash simmer for 10 minutes, until the broth has nearly evaporated and all ingredients are fork tender. Enjoy!
You can sub other vegetables in as you desire! Any kind of potato can sub for the sweet potato. Asparagus, green beans, or carrots can replace the brussel sprouts.
Possible seasonings: Italian herbs, cheese, taco seasoning, cajun seasoning, lemon pepper, etc.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 247mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 5gSugar: 17gProtein: 17g