With the weather shifting towards the freezing marks, a hearty soup will warm you up. As you may have noticed, I am fond of soups and creams. I am always looking for new ones to try and taste. One of the latest soup recipes I tried is a French onion soup one. Why onion soup? Because I ended up having 10 lb of onions on my hand. I sent my husband for some errands. I asked for onions; he came back with 10 lb bag.
No matter how many homemade meals use onions, I would not have used them before they went to waste. So I thought of making a batch of onion soup for those cold fall and winter nights. This recipe was inspired from this Food Network’s pin. I tweaked it a bit to make it my own. Let’s see how you can make it.
French Onion Soup
*Affiliate links included below.
- 2 whole Spanish onions
- Swanson Beef Broth, 32 oz
- 2 TBSP Olive oil
- Pinch salt & pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Sliced Provolone cheese
- Sliced Swiss Cheese, diced
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Baguette or homemade garlic bread.
- Crock pot
- Peel and cut two onions in slices, add oil to a skillet and saute the sliced onions until tender and translucent. Stir often.
- Pour the beef broth into a crock pot turning it on high.
- Add salt, pepper, and thyme, stir well.
- After the broth is heated add the onions and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Scoop the soup into individual oven-safe bowls and top with cheeses. (However much you want, depending on how cheesy you like it!)
- Heat the broiler.
- Place the bowls on a cookie sheet under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese. (Several minutes, watching often).
- Serve onion soup with slices of baguette or garlic bread.
This French onion soup recipe will make an excellent appetizer for Thanksgiving dinner or any party you host. It is also a great soup recipe for those freezing winter nights. Check out all our other delicious fall soup recipes and chase the chill all season long!
Have you ever made a French onion soup? Share your recipe with me.
For more Pinterest Remakes, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Fall centerpiece in less than 5 minutes by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Garden fresh, creamy tomato basil soup by Oh So Savvy Mom
- Candy corn wreath by Upstate Ramblings
- Spaghetti squash pizza boats by Homemaking Hacks
- Apple pecan stuffing recipe by A Mom’s Take
- Pumpkin scones by Jennifer Sikora
- Pumpkin seed granola by Better in Bulk
- Pumpkin cream cheese muffins by Mom Does it All
- Mummy Halloween pumpkin centerpiece by Simply Southern Mom
- Coffee rub burgers by Roasted Beanz
- Rustic twig star wreath by Sweet Lil You
- Buffalo chicken deviled eggs by Home and Garden Cafe
- Pumpkin marshmallow M&M blondies by Simply Mindy
- Honey lavender cupcakes by How Was Your Day?
- Mini chocolate apple pops by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Spaghetti and meatball muffins by Mom Always Finds Out