These days, it’s not enough to just find organizing hacks to save time, we also want to help keep our planet “people friendly” for our future generations. When you can combine money or time-saving hacks with ways to reuse things you already have or reduce your use of natural resources, you’re saving two birds with one seed (I think that’s much nicer than the alternative saying!). Check out a few of our favorite eco-friendly money savers & organizing hacks that save time, cash and the planet.
Eco-Friendly Money Savers & Organizing Hacks
Money-Saving Life Hacks
- Brick in the toilet tank– You have heard the 1979 song Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd right? Well, this is Another Brick in the Toilet Tank. Did you know that if you place a brick inside a plastic bag, then place it in the tank of your toilet, you can save water? The brick displaces the water, so you don’t lose any pressure when you flush, but you will use less water per flush.
- Change your light bulbs– If you are using incandescent light bulbs, you are using quite a bit of electricity. By changing the light bulbs in your home to compact fluorescent light bulbs, you can save money because these bulbs do not emit a lot of heat.
- Reduce your dryer time– Want to reduce the amount of time your dryer runs, in turn saving energy? When you put a load of clothes in the dryer, toss in a dry towel and dry and usual. The towel will help your clothes to dry faster.
- Extend the life of your razor– You can easily extend the life of your razor by rubbing it on a pair of jeans. This will help keep the blades of the razor sharper for a longer period of time.
- Herbal room freshener– Instead of using those store-bought room spray, which are loaded with chemicals, use some fresh herbs instead. Just place 2-3 stems of sage, lavender or mint into a vase. As long as the herbs remain fresh, so will your room.
Organizing Hacks Using Things You Already Have
- Reuse bread clips– Instead of throwing out the bread clips when you are done with the bread, reuse them to organize your power cords. Just label the clips with the different power cords you have like TV, computer, printer, etc. and clip on to the cord.
- Toilet paper and paper towel rolls– Use these to corral those thick clusters of cords running from your entertainment system or home office. Just run them through the rolls and no more crazy wires! If you want, you can paint them to match your wall color so they blend in better.
- Repurpose old suitcases into storage for off-season linens and clothes. You can also drill holes into them and attach legs to create funky side tables! The older the better if you’re going for a vintage look.
- Cereal boxes make great magazine and paper holders! Just cut diagonally along the front and back panel, and across one side. Decorate with contact paper or construction paper.
- Baby wipes containers: Oh, the things you can do with these! Check out our tips on reusing wipes containers all over your home!
- Turn an old towel into a pillow! See how here.
These are just 11 of our favorite money savers and organizing hacks that not only make your life easier but also help save our planet. If you look around your home, I bet you’ll find plenty of other ways to save both time and money using things you already have.