With the upcoming release of the movie The Jungle Book in theaters on April 15, 2016, there’s no better time than now to load up your watchlist with good family movies about Africa! Kids are going to be even more curious about the continent, so let’s take the opportunity to share a few more movies that both educate and entertain. Check out our favorite family movies about Africa!
Top 3 Good Family Movies about Africa
Affiliate links included below. Thanks for your support!
Adventures in Zambezia
Adventures in Zambezia is a 2012 3D computer animated family comedy adventure movie that received several awards including Best South African Feature Film in 2012 at the Durban International Film Festival and Best Animation in 2013 at the 9th Africa Movie Academy Awards. Zambezia is a beautiful city of birds, where a young Peregrine falcon bird named Kai travels to the bird city to learn about who he is and learns how to fit in with the rest of the community. The movie features the voices of Jeremy Suarez, Abigail Breslin. Jeff Goldblum, Samuel L. Jackson and Leonard Nimoy.
We can’t talk about good family movies about Africa without mentioning this one! Madagascar is a 2005 computer-animated comedy movie, the first of three films in the franchise, with the others being the 2008 Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa and the 2012 Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted. The movie showcases the story of a lion named Alex, a zebra named Marty, a giraffe named Melman and a hippo named Gloria, residents of the Central Park Zoo. When Marty decides to leave the zoo to see the rest of the world, his three buddies follow him. However, when the group mistakenly ends up on a ship, that is eventually hijacked and washed ashore on the island Madagascar, the discover what living in the wild really means. The movie features the voices of Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, David Schwimmer, Jada Pinkett Smith and Sacha Baron Cohen.
Duma is a 2005 family adventure movie that is based on the 1997 book titled How It Was with Dooms by author Xan Hopcraft and Carol Cawthra. Duma tells the tale of Xan, an orphaned boy, and the orphaned baby cheetah that he adopted named Duma. However, when tragedy strikes and Xan is forced to run away with Duma, the pair face some obstacles, which require Xan’s smarts and Duma’s instinct to survive. Duma stars Alexander Michaletos, Campbell Scott, Hope Davis and Eamonn Walker.
More fabulously good family movies about Africa
If those three don’t quench your kids’ thirst for Africa knowledge, check out these other great flicks that take place on the continent!
- Born Free– a touching film based on a true story about an orphaned lion cub and her return to the Kenya wilderness
- Chimpanzee– a beautiful Disneynature documentary about a family of chimps
- Curious George (the movie)- parts of this film about the most beloved monkey take place in Africa
- A Far Off Place- adventure drama movie about a family’s trek across Africa to escape poachers
- George of the Jungle- live-action comedy movie based on the cartoon
- Island of Lemurs: Madagascar- a documentary film about every kids’ favorite African island
- The Lion King– of course, we can’t forget this Disney classic!
- Tarzan– any of the many, many versions of the story
- The Wild Thornberrys Movie – a fun animated movie for kids
- The Wild– Disney movie about zoo animals who accidentally end up in Africa