Looking for a delicious Canada Day recipe for your celebration’s dessert table? These Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes not only taste amazing, they look festive too! Summer is a time for patriotic holidays in North America. Up here in the Great White North, we celebrate Canada Day. For those of you in other countries, Canada Day is a celebration of the day we officially became a country, back on July 1st, 1867.
On that day, the Constitution Act joined Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and what was then called the Canada Province together into a single nation. Later, the Canada province split into Quebec and Ontario. As years went on, more provinces joined the nation, but I think that’s enough of a history lesson for one recipe post, don’t you? Let’s talk about this yummy Canada Day recipe!
Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes Canada Day Recipe
Affiliate links included below.
- 1/2 cup butter (room temp)
- 2 egg whites (room temp)
- 2 eggs (room temp)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups your favorite sweetner
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
Directions for this yummy cupcake recipe:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set up your cupcake pan with liners (I recommend red and white liners for Canada Day, or make it a 4th of July recipe with blue liners)
- Using a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer or Kitchenaid on medium to high for 30 seconds.
- Now add sugar, vanilla, and almond extract to the butter and beat until combined.
- Add egg whites, and eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternate, the flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed until everything is well mixed together
- Fill the cupcake pan liners 2/3 with cake batter
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and allow to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before frosting
- 2 sticks butter (room temp)
- 4-5 cups Powder sugar
- 4 tbsp Maraschino cherry juice
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter on high speed until stiff and fluffy.
- Add 3 cups of sugar, one at a time.
- Scrape the sides to get all of the sugar.
- Now add the cherry juice and almond extract.
- In addition add the last cup of sugar.
- Beat until smooth
Use a cake decorating kit with different tips to pipe the icing onto the cupcakes. If you don’t have one, you can use a small spatula to layer it on thick, then whip it upward to get the fluffy look.
Do you have a favorite patriotic recipe? Share in the comments!
Want to see how to decorate it? Watch this video: