Looking for a delicious Canada Day recipe for your celebration’s dessert table? These Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes not only taste amazing, they look festive too! Summer is a time for patriotic holidays in North America. Up here in the Great White North, we celebrate Canada Day. For those of you in other countries, Canada Day is a celebration of the day we officially became a country, back on July 1st, 1867.
On that day, the Constitution Act joined Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and what was then called the Canada Province together into a single nation. Later, the Canada province split into Quebec and Ontario. As years went on, more provinces joined the nation, but I think that’s enough of a history lesson for one recipe post, don’t you? Let’s talk about this yummy Canada Day recipe!
Related: Strawberry Peach Pops: A Refreshing Dessert Recipe for Canada Day
Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes Canada Day Recipe
Affiliate links included below.
- 1/2 cup butter (room temp)
- 2 egg whites (room temp)
- 2 eggs (room temp)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups your favorite sweetner
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
Directions for this yummy cupcake recipe:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set up your cupcake pan with liners (I recommend red and white liners for Canada Day, or make it a 4th of July recipe with blue liners)
- Using a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer or Kitchenaid on medium to high for 30 seconds.
- Now add sugar, vanilla, and almond extract to the butter and beat until combined.
- Add egg whites, and eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternate, the flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed until everything is well mixed together
- Fill the cupcake pan liners 2/3 with cake batter
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and allow to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before frosting
- 2 sticks butter (room temp)
- 4-5 cups Powder sugar
- 4 tbsp Maraschino cherry juice
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter on high speed until stiff and fluffy.
- Add 3 cups of sugar, one at a time.
- Scrape the sides to get all of the sugar.
- Now add the cherry juice and almond extract.
- In addition add the last cup of sugar.
- Beat until smooth
Use a cake decorating kit with different tips to pipe the icing onto the cupcakes. If you don’t have one, you can use a small spatula to layer it on thick, then whip it upward to get the fluffy look.
Do you have a favorite patriotic recipe? Share in the comments!
Want to see how to decorate it? Watch this video:
27 thoughts on “Canada Day Recipe: Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes”
Just curious how many this makes. I need about 100 for a baby shower and am trying to plan how many batches I will need.
These are beautiful! Would you mind sharing what # tip you use for the frosting? Thanks!
These look and sound so delicious indeed and are perfect for Canada Day. I don’t like everything cherry but these look so good that I am going to have to try them for sure. The frosting with the cherry juice and almond extract sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Those are very fun and festive looking. I do love a good celebration!
Those look great! Can I ask where you found those cupcake liners?? I’ve been looking everywhere for them!
Those cupcakes look just perfect! So gorgeous!
These look SO good! And that frosting?! I’m drooling!
Aww I love those colors. They’re definitely making me crave cupcakes. I want to make some!
These cupcakes are super cute! Bet they taste just as wonderful, too. 🙂
Delicious recipe to celebrate a special day, love bing cherries such a delight!
That looks amazing! I’m usually not great on baking, but I’m willing to give these a try!
These are beautiful cupcakes. I am going to try making my own frosting. I had no clue that it is so easy to make. I don’t always care for the premade icing.
Being Canadian I am going to be celebrating and these cupcakes looks so festive. You just know I am going to be trying them. Thanks for sharing!
How cute are those? I think they’d be great for the 4th.
Oh wow! Those look absolutely amazing! I will definitely have to give this recipe a try!
I am not even in Canada and I want to make these! They look delicious.
I’m drooling right now.
They look so pretty. Thank you for the recipe.
They DO look pretty…..and tasty!
These look so good! I would love to make me a batch. Thanks for the recipe!
Those cupcakes are as pretty as they can be! I love the cherry on top!
Me too! I’m planning to make some this weekend.
wow, they looks so good! thanks for the recipe!
That looks delicious. I can’t wait to make this for my family.
You had me at cherry vanilla! These look divine! I cannot wait to try them!
Oh my goodness! Cupcakes are my weakness and these look so amazing! I think I gained five pounds looking at this. 🙂
Thanks for sharing this recipe with us. It’s on my ‘try for sure’ list of recipes. 🙂
Have a great weekend!
Oh my word. Those look so tempting. Now I want one for breakfast!