My son is always around when I cook. He wants to know every step, every ingredient. He want to learn how to cook. I try to make kid friendly recipes that he can help with. One of his favorite recipes is the pudding! This also one of my top healthy snacks for kids: Easy to prepare, you can make it from ingredients that you already have. You can decorate them with anything you want: chocolate chips, nuts, raisins.
The only thing that I may not like about this healthy snack is washing the dishes after.The mixture of milk, eggs and corn starch are tough to wash. I make sure to wash them Immediately after I finished the cooking! Make sure to do so too!
Cocoa Pudding with pine nuts: Get your kids to eat healthy snacks
I remember I used to help my mom preparing the cocoa pudding recipe. I was always happy to do so because I could eat extra chocolate chips or eat directly from the pan. It was a real treat for me: enjoying a hot pudding. Have you ever done that when you were a child? Now, my son is repeating history, he eats some of the ingredients while he prepares this healthy snack for kids. I pretend I did not see him and continue.
- 4 cups of milk ( I usually use a 2% milk)
- 4 eggs yolks. I tought my son how to separate egg yolks. He manages that well now.
- 4 Tablespoons of sugar
- 4 Tablespoons of corn starch
- 4 Tablespoons of cocoa powder. (It is optional but adds flavor)
All the ingredients can be prepared by your tween or even your 5 year-old. Make sure to supervise their tasks though. They are distracted easily! Cooking with kids is a great way to play and learn. They develop their counting skills and know the ingredients. My 4 year-old knows all the basic ingredients to make a Fudge Cake Brownie or chocolate chip cookies. She does not the measurements yet. But when it is time to prepare her favorite treats, she helps me getting the required ingredients from the fridge or the pantry.
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts
- or 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and the sugar for few minutes.
- Add the cocoa powder and stir until well mixed
- While stirring, add the egg yolks and the corn starch and stir until well mixed.
- The secret in preparing a pudding is in the stirring. You need to do it constantly so to avoid clumps.
- Slowly bring to boil.
- Fill into your favorite ramekins
- Allow to cool
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips or pine nuts.
Do you love cooking with your kids? What are your favorite healthy snacks for kids you love cooking with them?