Now that the weather is getting cold, one of the best ways to warm up is with healthy holiday recipes like this Red Lentil Soup. It would make a great addition to your holiday meal whether your cuisine is casual or elegant. Not only will this recipe warm you up, it tastes delicious and is full of healthy ingredients.
As a plus, Red Lentil Soup is not only easy to make and freeze ahead of time, but are loaded with vitamins and nutrients, too! They are high in protein and iron as well as low in calories. Dr. Oz recently called lentils a healthy superfood and they are a popular choice for healthy holiday recipes of vegans and vegetarians. Lentils are also packed full of fiber, which makes them a great choice for those trying to control their blood sugar. Known as an excellent antioxidant, they have nutrients that contribute to a healthy heart.
Red Lentil Soup is very easy to make and makes a great addition to your holiday meal.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ingredients Needed for Red Lentil Soup:
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup red lentils, washed
- ¼ cup carrots, diced or shredded
- 1/4 cup of Celery minced
- ¼ cup onions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caraway
- Cooking cream (optional)
How To Make This Healthy Holiday Recipe:
- Heat oil, garlic, and onions in a large saucepan on medium heat. Continue cooking, stirring often, until onions are well cooked.
- Add carrots and celery to the saucepan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add uncooked red lentils and chicken broth.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- You can add some cooking cream if you wish.
Variation Suggestions for Red Lentil Soup:
- You could turn this Red Lentil Soup into a great main meal by adding more vegetables. Think of adding cabbage, and/or spinach. If you are a meat eater, think of adding some diced spicy sausage.
- For increased protein and iron content you could try adding black or navy beans.
- If you are worried about diabetes, consider adding cooked brown rice. Harvard researchers have found that eating at least two servings of brown rice each week significantly lowers the chance of developing blood sugar issues. They say it also helps lower cholesterol.
- To adjust the taste, experiment with different herbs and spices.
When choosing healthy holiday recipes, it is important to look at the time needed to cook, availability and cost of ingredients, the health benefits, and if it is tasty. This Red Lentil Soup has just the right blend of many ingredients, making it one of the healthy holiday recipes that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters.
Healthy Holiday Recipe: Red Lentil Soup is a post from: Our Family World
Want to showcase your product to our audience? Then check our advertising options