For our Rio 2 Movie Party, we wanted to put together a great party cake recipe that would go along with the theme. Most cakes are loaded with sugar and decorated with even more! Even though this cake is covered in frosting, the cake itself is a much healthier option and is easy and delicious. We’ve topped the party cake with fresh fruit too!
Secretly Healthy Vanilla Rio 2 Movie Party Cake Recipe
- 1 1/3 c low fat milk – lactose free, rice, soy, or almond
- 1/4 c and 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 c all purpose flour (you could use rice flour for a gluten free option)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 c sugar (or sugar substitute of your choice)
- 1/8 tsp pure stevia or an additional 1/4 c sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and flour 2 – 8″ round cake pans or spray with non stick baking spray.
- In medium bowl combine all wet ingredients and mix together.
- In bowl of mixer, sift together all dry ingredients.
- Poor wet mixture into dry and mix on low until just combined.
- Poor batter into prepared cake pans and bake in preheated oven for 22-25 minutes. Cakes will rise and should be golden brown.
- Cool cakes in pans for 10-15 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks. Cool completely before frosting.
How to decorate your Rio 2 Movie Party Cake Recipe
Decorating Supplies: (affiliate links included)
- Prepared fondant in blue, orange, and yellow. You can purchase already colored, purchase white fondant and color it yourself, or make your own and color it. When coloring fondant, be sure to use gel food coloring rather than liquid.
- Prepared buttercream frosting (white is fine).
- Fresh fruit – grapes, apple, limes, lemon, and oranges.
- Knife with fine, smooth blade for cutting, cookie cutter (acorn shape if available), bamboo skewer sticks
- Fondant smoother
- Silicone Rolling Pin
- Powdered sugar
- Blue shimmer dust for cake decorating
- Paint brush
- Once the cakes have cooled, top the bottom round with buttercream, stack the other round on top, and frost entire cake with a light coating of buttercream frosting.
- While fondant may seem intimidating, it’s best to think of it as grown up Play Dough. You can roll it out, shape it, and cut it just as you did Play Dough as a child.
- Begin by rolling out the blue fondant in a circle large enough to cover the top and sides of the stacked cake. The fondant should be rolled out on a surface dusted with powdered sugar to keep it from sticking to the surface. Be sure to lift and rotate the fondant to prevent it from sticking as well. Once rolled out to a thickness of approximately 1/8″ or less, roll it onto your rolling pin. Lift it up and lay it over the cake. Using the fondant smoother, carefully smooth the fondant and form it to the shape of the cake, smoothing out any wrinkles.
- Roll out a second sheet of blue fondant and with the acorn cutter (or use a knife to cut feather shapes in 2 sizes).
- Using the back of the knife, add texture to resemble a feather. Using the paint brush, dust with blue shimmer powder.
- Using buttercream frosting, apply the feather shapes around the bottom of the cake. On the front of the cake, bring the feather shapes up to form “tail feathers”.
- Roll out blue, yellow, and orange fondant and using your knife, cut out the letters R i o and the number 2. Apply these to the front of the cake with buttercream.
- Using bamboo skewers to secure, stack the fruit on top of the cake.
- With additional blue fondant, create 5 larger feathers and dust with blue shimmer dust. Add these to the top of the cake, between the fruit.
When ready to serve, remove fruit and skewer sticks and serve the fresh fruit with this delicious and fun cake! Looking for more healthy cake options? Check out our delicious pound cake recipe!
Head over to MyKidsGuide and check out fun Rio 2 party ideas and an awesome craft for kids!
What do you think of this delicious party cake recipe? Will you be seeing Rio 2 with your kids?
Rio 2 Movie Party Cake Recipe: Make & Decorate a Beautiful Jungle Cake is a post from: Our Family World
Want to showcase your product to our audience? Then check our advertising options