During pregnancy, it’s important to get your daily nutrients as well as keep your energy levels up. After all, you’re eating for two! Of course, that doesn’t mean you should over-indulge and assume that baby is going to suck down ALL those extra calories! Instead, reach for some healthy snacks for pregnant women to help you get through the day!
Deciding on which healthy snacks for pregnant women are best for you really depends on your personal tastes. If you’re suffering from morning sickness, you’ll want to avoid anything too heavy. On the other hand, if you’re past that stage and feeling your energy drain, you’ll want to reach for a heartier snack. Those who are dealing with gestational diabetes may want to speak to their nutritionist to determine which snacks are best. Take a look at our ideas for healthy snacks for pregnant women! This post contains some affiliate links.
10 Healthy Snacks for Pregnant Women to Get You Through the Day
One important thing to remember, water is your friend. If you’re feeling hungry shortly after enjoying a snack or meal, reach for a glass of water first. You could just be thirsty! That being said, check out these great healthy snack ideas.
- Fruit Smoothie: When I was pregnant with my son, I craved oranges and strawberries like crazy! One way I enjoyed them was in a smoothie. The great thing about these is that you can throw just about any fruit into a smoothie maker and blend. I liked to combine orange juice with bananas and strawberries. The bananas give it a thicker texture.
- Mini Turkey Sandwich: Cut a slice of whole-grain bread in half and add sliced turkey. Toss on half a slice of cheese if you prefer, and maybe some mustard or light mayo. The combination of whole grains and protein will help keep you going until the next full meal. You can also use whole-grain crackers instead of bread!
- Pita & Hummus: I absolutely love hummus, especially on whole-grain pita bread! It’s such a filling snack. If you’re past the morning sickness stage and not prone to heartburn, try some roasted red pepper hummus to spice it up. Oddly, I craved spicy foods when I was pregnant!
- Nutrition bar: While I recommend getting your daily nutrients through healthy meals, nutrition bars make great snacks for pregnant women on the go. I particularly love Credible Cravings Perinatal Whole Food bars. It comes in Chocolate (my favorite!), Lemon Greens, and Oatmeal Cranberry.
- Whole-fruit Popsicles: Skip the juice-based Popsicles and head right to the ones made with whole fruits. Not only are they more healthful overall, but they’re also a lot more filling. These are perfect for when you’re pregnant during the summer.
- Mini Muffins: Muffins always fill me up, sometimes a little too much! Mini muffins are perfect snacks for pregnant women. Like smoothies, there are just so many variations. Try our peanut butter muffin recipe! Just spread the mixture into miniature muffin tins.
- Healthy cookies: Who said cookies can be healthy snacks for pregnant women? When you get the Bumpboosters Pregnancy Cookies, you get a wholesome snack in one of the yummiest forms!
- Peanut butter & apples: Spread some peanut butter over apple slices for a delicious healthy snack. If apples aren’t your thing, add the peanut butter to some celery stalks instead. Or bananas!
- Cereal snack mix: When I was suffering from morning sickness, I couldn’t stomach milk products. I loved cereal, though! I created my own snack mixes with different types of dry cereal. Throw your favorites in a bag and you have a great on-the-go snack!
- Mother to be Tea: When you’re feeling too sick for anything solid, tea makes a great healthy snack. Yogi’s Mother to Be Tea includes peppermint and other herbs to help calm your tummy, plus raspberry leaf to help keep your uterus toned.
What healthy snacks for pregnant women did you love when you were pregnant?
10 Healthy Snacks for Pregnant Women to Keep You Going Through the Day is a post from: Our Family World
Want to showcase your product to our audience? Then check our advertising options