Looking for a cute party cake recipe to help celebrate the release of Wizard of Oz movie? Check out this super cute one! Affiliate links included. We receive a small amount of money if you click these links and make a purchase. Thank you for your support!
By now, you all know how much I love baking cakes and cupcakes for special parties and the Wizard of Oz – Legends of Oz Movie is perfect for a party and a great cake recipe! Dorothy singing “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was my inspiration for this simple yet fun Wizard of Oz cake. For flavors, I’m always testing and modifying recipes to make new and healthy versions of favorite sweets for my family. Sometimes I need something fairly simple and quick. This Wizard of Oz cake is a modified box cake and is delicious and much healthier than the standard box cake.
Wizard of Oz Movie Party Cake Recipe
- 1 white cake mix or you can use this easy pound cake recipe.
- 2 Tbsp lemon extract
- applesauce – you’ll be substituting an equal amount of applesauce where the oil is called for in the mix
Directions for this Wizard of Oz cake recipe for kids
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together wet ingredients according to cake mix instructions, substituting the applesauce for the oil that is called for.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon extract to the mix.
- Gradually add in the dry cake mix and stir until well blended.
- Spray 8″ round pans with non stick baking spray and pour batter evenly into the 2 pans. Bake in preheated oven for 30-33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool in pans for 15 minutes and remove. Make sure cakes have cooled completely before decorating.
By replacing the oil with applesauce, this cake becomes a much healthier option than the standard boxed cake!
To decorate this fun Wizard of Oz cake, you’ll need the following.
- prepared buttercream frosting in the following colors – white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet
- frosting knife
- 7 piping bags fitted with tip attachments
- large round decorating tip
- gold nugget sprinkles
How to decorate Wizard of Oz Cake
- Begin by stacking the 2 cakes with a generous layer of frosting between them.
- Cover the sides and the top of the stacked cakes with a thin layer of buttercream. Smooth this layer of frosting well but it does not have to be perfect. Place the cake in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. This is the “crumb coat” and will seal in the crumbs of the cake and keep them from surfacing in the finished frosting.
- Remove the Wizard of Oz cake from the freezer and apply a fairly thick layer of white buttercream over the crumb coat. This frosting layer should be as smooth as possible. Using the frosting knife, carefully smooth the frosting as you turn the cake.
- Once the cake is neatly covered with the white, begin piping the colors of the rainbow onto the cake using a piping bag and the large round tip. The rainbow should form a spiral as shown.
- Finally, sprinkle the gold nugget sprinkles between the rainbow colors and around the base of the cake to create “The Yellow Brick Road”
Isn’t this Wizard of Oz cake delicious and colorful?
That’s really all there is to it! Now head over to MyKidsGuide to learn how to make a cute bookmark and find some fun Wizard of Oz party games for kids!