Are you always looking for healthy food to make with your kids? Are you looking for creative ways to serve vegetables to your family? Then, you should download the Very Veggie World by Clare Crespo. This recipe e-book features 25 creative healthy food to make with your kids! You can get your little ones to eat vegetables without hiding them. My son enjoyed cooking and eating Potato Bear Pows. We ate every bit of it and almost fought over it!
While we were preparing our first recipe, he spotted the Eggplant Veggie Wagon one. He was impressed by the colors, the shapes. I loved the creativity and simplicity of the recipe. It takes only 20 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to cook. I do eat eggplant but my kids not much. I was delighted when my son wanted to give this recipe a try. These veggies are fat-free and sodium free.They are a great addition to any family meal. Let’s see how we can this healthy recipe
Eggplant Veggie Wagon recipe: Healthy food to cook with your kids
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/4 cup of margarine Spread
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced. I usually buy the ready to use garlic as I don’t like peeling garlic.
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced. I skipped this ingredient. My son does not like it and I did not want to force him into something he does not really like. I was already glad he wanted to try eggplants. I did not want to push him further.
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 toothpicks or skews
- Cut top quarter off eggplant lengthwise, leaving stem intact. Dice this piece (leave skin on). Scoop out eggplant from remaining piece (leaving 1/2-inch thick wall of eggplant), and dice. I cut the eggplant. My son scooped it out and diced.
- Cut 4 slices from the zucchini and dice the remaining. My son was happy to do this. I think he wants to be a cook!
- In a large skillet, melt the margarine. Add the onions and heat until onions become soft. Add the garlic, zucchini. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables soften.
- Add the tomato sauce, basil leaves, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir often.
- Add the wheels to the eggplant using the toothpicks.
- Scoop in the mixture in the eggplants
My eggplant was not large enough. I had extra filling. We ate it as a sandwich filling. It was really good. My kids loved the filling and scooping from the eggplant. I am planning on dicing the wagon and making another filling. It will be a great addition to any sandwich.
How about you? What’s your favorite veggie recipe to make with your kids?