Banana muffins are a popular snack at home. My kids can eat them as an after school snack, as a lunch box snack and even as dessert or breakfast. They enjoy this banana muffin recipe because they can make it on their own with little help and supervision. Teaching cooking skills to kids at an early age can raise responsible and healthier adults. It sharpens some basic skills such as counting, measuring and recognizing the main ingredients involved in the recipes. It is a teaching experience in a funny way. It can be a bit messier though as those little hands are not as precise as an adult hand. My kids usually make the recipe and helping with the cleaning process. It’s a win-win situation.
This banana muffin recipe can turn also into a banana bread. I usually make double the quantities and make them both. I freeze half of the muffins and save them for my kids future lunch boxes or surprise play dates. It can be stored up to 3 months in the freezer. Usually, we eat them within 2 weeks. Let’s see how we can make this healthy banana snack:
Ingredients you need for banana muffin recipe
We shared affiliate links to help you shop for supplies.
- 1 ½ flour
- 1 cup of sugar. You can reduce the sugar quantity to ¾ of a cup.
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ chocolate chips. (It is optional). You can replace it with nuts. I tried cranberries once, but the kids did not like it.
Related: Blueberry Muffin Recipe for kids
Make this easy banana muffin recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, beat the bananas, eggs and vegetables oil until the mixture becomes smooth
- In the same bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda. Some recipes recommend using another bowl but I don’t do it. I just make sure to mix the baking powder with the flour before adding it to the first mixture.
- Mix well
- Pour in a muffin pan and cook for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out dry.
It makes about 2 dozens of medium-sized muffins.You can decorate the muffins with your favorite icing and some chocolate chips. They will make great cupcakes for a play date.
Eating healthy snacks does not have to be overwhelming. You just need to be creative and enjoy. Enjoy this easy muffin banana recipe with your kids. Make sure to be around in the kitchen when they measure the ingredients. I take over when they are ready to bake. They are too young to put those banana muffins in the oven yet.
What’s your favorite banana muffin recipe? What’s your favorite topping?