Think the words health and donuts don’t go together? Just try my healthy baked donut recipe and you’ll quickly change your mind! My kids are huge donuts fan. They are always asking for store bought ones and I am always reluctant to serve these. I find they have too much sugar, fat, glaze, too much everything…except healthy ingredients. To cut it short, I bought this mini donut maker. Nothing like a homemade baked donut to please those little mouths (and older ones). The maker came with a recipe booklet. It had interesting ones that inspired me but Pinterest is a my best inspiration. I searched for healthy baked donut recipe and stumbled on this Greek Yogurt apple cider donuts recipe. It looked so good but my kids are not huge Greek Yogurt fans so I decided it to swap it with other ingredients. Check out my new healthy baked donut recipe!
Healthy Baked Donuts Recipe: Pumpkin Mini Donuts with apple sauce
Affiliate links included below.
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of apple sauce (to replace the sugar)
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree. I had one in my pantry but you can use apple pie filling.
Here are some options available:
- Coconut cream as the directions in this mango kiwi spring roll recipe
- Cream cheese
- Some sprinkles
- Food coloring
- Maple syrup or honey
- Some imagination
Make this healthy baked donut recipe
- Spread some butter on the donut maker.
- Preheat the donut maker. If you don’t have a donut machine you can use donut pans.
- In a large bowl, beat all ingredients on low speed
- Open Mini donut maker. Spoon 1 TBSP of batter into each hole. This is a delicate part as the batter is not liquid and kind of sticky. Use of hands may be needed. You need to be cautious though as the machine is very hot.
- Close top. Bake 2 or 3 minutes or until golden brown
- Then let the kids decorate as they wish.
The mini donuts turned out delicious. Some donuts were nicely shaped and some of them not that nice. But they were delicious enough to devour in few minutes. I prefer the donuts bare but my kids love it with toppings. What flavor donuts would you make in your healthy baked donut recipe? Share in the comments!
For more Pinterest Remakes, visit a few of my favorite blogs:
- Overnight Oats Recipe with Yogurt by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- DIY Serving Tray by Homemaking Hacks
- DIY Whipped Body Butter by My So Called Balanced Life
- DIY Skin Detox Body Scrub by Oh So Savvy Mom
- Crockpot Barbacoa Tacos by Better in Bulk
- Apple Nachos with Peanut Butter and Chocolate by Mom Always Finds Out
- Pinterest Inspired Bud Vase – A Simple DIY Craft by Three Different Directions
- DIY Spring Clothespin Wreath by Simply Southern Mom
- Oatmeal Energy Balls Recipe by Sweep Tight
- Thumbprint Birthday Cards by Upstate Ramblings
- DIY Nail Art: Easy Geometric Style by LW Vogue