Looking for a delicious yet healthy dessert recipe that is perfect for celebrating the arrival of fall? Check out these “Candy Corn” fruit cups! Fall is full of sweet treats and candy but you can also make sweet fall treats that are healthy for your children. Kids and grown-ups a like love candy corn but it is not a great healthy choice. While traditional candy corn isn’t, these Candy Corn Fruit Cups are!
Candy Corn Fruit Cups: A Healthy Dessert Recipe
Ingredients & Supplies:
- Fresh pineapple cut into chunks. You could use canned pineapple but I find they have too much sugar added.
- Mandarin or Clementine oranges – peeled and separated.
- Mini marshmallows cut in half on angle (large marshmallows cut into small pieces will work too) or shredded coconut.
- Pretty (affiliate link) glass dessert dishes or glass cups.
- Evenly divide the chunked pineapple into the bottoms of your serving dishes.
- Add the orange sections to the pineapple, creating a slight mound.
- Top the oranges with the cut up marshmallows to create the point of the candy corn. While I used marshmallows, you could also use shredded coconut for a healthier option.
It’s so important to encourage children to eat healthy snacks and treats. Sometimes it can be hard to get them to choose healthy options when unhealthy options are so abundant this time of year. By getting creative and offering them something that is fun to eat and looks fun, it makes that decision so much easier! Children don’t have to miss out on fun and delicious treats by choosing the healthy option and Candy Corn Fruit Cups are proof of that!
Do you have a twist on a traditional, not so healthy, fall snack or an idea for a healthy dessert recipe? What do you and your family do to offer healthier options or alternatives for sweet treats for your children? Tell us in the comment section.