This Spider-Man party cake recipe post contains affiliate links. We only recommend products that we love!
For our Spider-Man Party Cake, we wanted to include details of other super heroes as well! Â This super hero cake is fairly simple to create and is the perfect addition to your Spider-Man Party! It’s also a great Father’s Day cake recipe, as every dad is a Super Hero in their child’s eyes!
Spider-Man Party Cake Recipe – Make and Decorate a Super Hero Cake
Ingredients and Supplies:
- 2 8″ round pans
- 2 8″ square pans
- 1 12″ cake base or plate
- 2 boxed white cake mixes – and necessary ingredients according to box
- 2 tbsp strawberry extract
- berry flavored applesauce – you’ll substitute the oil that is called for with the berry applesauce. Check out our strawberry applesauce recipe if you’d like to make your own.
- red food coloring
Directions for this Spider-Man Party Cake recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together wet ingredients according to cake mix instructions, substituting the berry flavored applesauce for the oil that is called for.
- Add 2 tablespoons of strawberry extract to the mix.
- Add several drops of red food coloring to the wet ingredients to create a red batter.
- Gradually add in the dry cake mix and stir until well blended.
- Spray 8″ round pansÂ and 8″ square pansÂ with non stick baking spray and pour batter evenly into the 4 pans. Â Bake in preheated oven for 30-33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool in pans for 15 minutes and remove. Â Make sure cakes have cooled completely before decorating.
By replacing the oil with the berry flavored applesauce, this Spider-Man party cake recipe becomes a much healthier dessert option than the standard boxed cake!
To decorate the Spider-Man Party Cake recipe you’ll need the following.
- Prepared fondant in red, yellow, and blue
- Prepared buttercream frosting in blue, yellow, and white
- Black decorating sparkle gel
- The Superman emblem printed out to trace (approximately 8″ at largest point)
- Fondant rolling pin
- Fondant smoother
- Icing knife
- 2 Piping bags fitted with small star tip
How to decorate the Spider-Man Party Cake
- Begin by covering your cake base or place with a fairly thick layer of red fondant. Â Roll the fondant into a large enough piece to cover the base and carefully trim access away with a knife.
- Stack and cover the 8″ round cakes with the prepared white buttercream. Â This is only a base for the fondant so it does not need to be pretty!
- Roll out enough prepared yellow fondant to cover the 8″ round layer. Â Place the fondant over the buttercream covered cake and carefully smooth with the fondant smoothing tool, making sure to remove all air bubbles. Â Trim the access fondant off.
- Stack the two 8″ square cakes and trim 3 of the 4 corners off to create the shape of the Superman emblem (use your template).
- Cover the now Superman emblem shaped cake with prepared white buttercream.
- Roll out enough prepared blue fondant to cover this layer. Â Place the fondant over the buttercream covered cake and carefully smooth and remove air bubbles. Â Trim access fondant from the bottom.
- Add a small amount of frosting to the center of your yellow round cake. Â Carefully lift the Superman emblem layer and place on top of the yellow round cake.
- Roll a small amount of prepared yellow fondant and cut it to the size and shape of the Superman emblem layer. Â Add it to the top of the cake.
- Roll out a small amount of prepared red fondant and use your Superman emblem template to cut a replica from the fondant. Â Add this on top of the yellow fondant.
- Using the yellow and blue buttercream and piping bags, edge each cake as shown in our photo.
- Use a small piece of red fondant to create a Spider-Man face and attach it to the front of the yellow cake. Â Use the black sparkle gel and white to detail his mask.
- Use the black sparkle gel to draw a web onto the fondant covered cake base.
- If your cake is for a child’s birthday, you can add a Happy Birthday message below Spider-Man’s face!
Not only does this Spider-Man Party Cake Recipe look great from the outside, it tastes great and the red cake inside will be a great surprise for everyone! A party means crafts and games for kids, check this lovely Spider-Man Mask craft for kids and those Spider-Man Party games for kids.
Do your kids love super heroes? Which one would they love to see turned into a cake?