Looking to break out of your standard muffin routine? Transform bland to brilliant, and boring to amazing with these zucchini pineapple muffins!
Some muffins are dry and plain. Some don’t offer much nutritional benefits either, aside from a large dose of sugar. These homemade muffins are not your typical muffins! They pack a punch with tropical pineapple and healthy zucchini.
The base recipe is pretty standard: your eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla, plus flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. But a dash of cinnamon (or nutmeg) sneaks in another level of flavor. Then the pineapple add a slight texture with a tropical feel. It’s always nice to sneak in hidden veggies like zucchini. Finely chopped walnuts (optional) make the perfect topping and naturally meld together the variety of flavors.
Worried the pineapple texture could be too much? Using shredded pineapple reduces the chunkiness, plus it softens as it bakes. Want more texture? Toss some nuts or raisins into the batter for the full effect. Hoping for even more tropical flavor? Reduce the recipe to ½ cup of oil and add in ¼ cup of the pineapple juice.
These freeze great! Store in a freezer bag or container. To thaw, allow to sit in the fridge overnight, or microwave for about 20 seconds.
Zucchini Pineapple Muffins
Escape to a tasty tropical paradise with these homemade zucchini pineapple muffins.
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup oil (or unsweetened applesauce)
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (don’t peel)
- 1 lb can of crushed pineapple, drained
- Optional 1 cup chopped nuts
- Optional ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream the eggs, oil, and sugar together in a stand mixer. Gradually add vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to the mixer and mix until incorporated.
- Add zucchini and pineapple, then gently mix for a few seconds until well combined. Add in nuts or raisins if using.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tin and fill each cup ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes, or until lightly brown and an inserted toothpick removes cleanly.
Let cool on a wire rack.
Freeze in zippered freezer bags. Thaw in the fridge overnight, or in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
Make these extra sweet with a 1/2 cup of chocolate chips too!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 470Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 320mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 3gSugar: 36gProtein: 8g