Last week I wrote about my love of eggplant. (Missed it? Read about it here in the recipe for Eggplant and Goat Cheese Roll Ups.) Those deep purple veggies are irresistible to me, so they show up often on our dinner table.
Last week I purchased Graffiti Eggplants with the intention to create an eggplant puree. After I chopped and peeled the purple and white striped eggplants, I sauteed the chunks in a generous amount of olive oil. Once they were tender, and a few of them were satisfactorily browned, it was time to experiment.
I placed them into the cup that came with my immersion blender, stuck in the blade, and watched as the eggplants were sucked into the whirling blades. I decided to add a few drops of lemon juice, a few pinches of salt, and a heaping tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese.
Meanwhile, I cut large tomatoes into bowls, gently steamed them, and filled each with a portion of the eggplant puree. For texture and visual appeal, I sprinkled homemade breadcrumbs on top.
After gobbling this down, I realized that I consumed an entire tomato and eggplant for dinner. That’s a win for eating vegetables and actually enjoying it!
P.S. For your kids, add extra cheese on top, or stuff the eggplant puree into a zucchini or bread bowl instead.
- 2 eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 large tomatoes, halved and cored into a “bowl”
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs, any kind
- Saute the peeled and cubed eggplant in olive oil for 15 minutes, until tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the eggplant. Add the lemon juice, salt, and parmesan cheese, and blend again until incorporated.
- Steam the tomato “boats” for 2 minutes, enough to remove the crispiness and warm it up.
- Fill the tomato “boats” with the eggplant puree, and top with breadcrumbs and extra cheese.
For kids, add extra cheese on top, or stuff the eggplant puree into zucchini boats or a bread bowl instead.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 135mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 8gSugar: 12gProtein: 5g