When the weather is cold and the days are busy, there is nothing more satisfying than a bowl of steaming soup. This thick and creamy broccoli cheddar soup will hit the spot!
Before your days gets packed, prep this soup. Toss in frozen broccoli, a diced onion (or dehydrated onion if you’re really in a hurry), plus a shredded carrot. Dump in broth and seasonings. Done!
Bonus: since there is no meat in this recipe, you can set your crockpot on a delayed start timer. Prepping this at 7am for 6pm dinner? Set the timer for 12 or 1.
My favorite part comes just before serving. There is something soothing about watching cornstarch dissolve and thicken. Maybe it’s my mad inner scientist or need to analyze everything. No matter the reason, the cornstarch and cheese work wonders at thickening this broccoli soup. Plus, it wouldn’t be broccoli cheddar soup without the cheese! (Yes, one time I made this soup and forgot the cheese. Don’t make the same mistake, it doesn’t taste as satisfying.)
One day I’ll attempt to make a bread bowl to pair with this yummy dinner. (If you have a great recipe for this, please share in the comments below!) But presently I serve it with crusty french bread or a caesar salad. Also, this reheats well, making it an excellent leftover!
- 2 bags of frozen broccoli
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 cups of broth
- ½ Tbsp Montreal seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup milk, high fat milk or cream work best
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Dump the frozen broccoli, diced onion, grated carrots, broth, Montreal seasoning, salt and pepper into your crockpot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Stir in the cornstarch dissolved in milk and the cheese. Turn crockpot on high for 10 minutes, allowing the soup to thicken.
- Using an immersion blender, blend for 15 seconds to help thin out the broccoli.
- Serve with French bread or a side salad.