One thing is certain about round steak: the longer it cooks, the more tender it becomes. A little known secret is that a dash of apple cider vinegar helps tenderize your meat even further.
And a steak smothered in a rich brown gravy is so satisfying. Add in a pile of mashed potatoes and I’m one happy chef! Oh, and your kids will probably eat it if it’s covered in potatoes too.
Wanna try your hand at a round steak? It’s pretty simple. Start with a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Brown the round steak on both sides to help trap in the juices.
Add thinly sliced onion and bell peppers beside the steak and saute for about 5-8 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
Next, add in broth, apple cider vinegar, and the seasonings of your choice. (Honestly, salt and pepper are perfect!) Let that pot simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally.
This is where the magic happens: the steak becomes more tender by the minute and the gravy thickens to perfection. That tiny dash of apple cider vinegar helps tenderize the meat so that you can cut it with a butter knife.
That’s it. Simple weeknight meal, right? Mashed potatoes round out this comfort meal, but rice or quinoa are also great alternatives.
Hint: If your gravy doesn’t thicken (although it should), don’t worry. Remove the steak and veggies, then whisk in a tablespoon of flour. That should do the trick!
- 1 large round steak
- 1 onion, sliced into thin strips
- 2 bell peppers, any color, sliced into thin strips
- 2-3 cups broth
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Brown the round steak in a cast iron skillet over medium heat for a few minutes on each side.
- Add sliced onion and bell pepper beside the round steak and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes, until the onions turn translucent.
- Add 2 cups of broth, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender and the gravy has thickened. Add additional broth if necessary.
Tastes amazing over a bed of rice or a pile of mashed potatoes.
Why apple cider vinegar? It helps make your steak tender.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 671mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 17g