At the end of the month, the grocery budget has become slim. It’s time to eat out of the freezer and pantry, to finish up extra ingredients before the new month begins.
At that time of the month, I tend to cook a variety of meatless meals, like pasta, tacos with black beans, vegetable stir fry, or risotto. (Shout out to my Italian exchange student for recommending this meal! She loves cooking risotto and home and wanted a taste of Italy this week.)
Risotto is technically a rice, so you’ll find it in the rice and beans section of the grocery store. If you can’t find “risotto” look for arborio, another common name for it. It will come in a small package of 2 cups of dry risotto.
Much like pasta or rice, this is simple to cook. Boil it in water or broth according to the package’s directions (approximately 25 minutes). Then allow it to sit covered for 10 minutes before fluffing. Bonus for this being meatless, easy, and fast!
Adding mozzarella and parmesan cheese takes the simple risotto to another level. Plus, who doesn’t love cheese?! But I simply can’t serve a meal that doesn’t include some fruits or vegetables. So I roasted a pan of asparagus with balsamic vinegar to serve on top of the risotto. The combination of cheese risotto and balsamic asparagus is an outstanding mixture!
If your family prefers broccoli or green beans, feel free to substitute the vegetable!
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 to matoes, diced
- ½ pound of ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- cooking cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place ground beef in a pan with a dash of salt and pepper. Heat until the beef is no longer red. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, cook the eggplant, tomatoes, olive oil, and garlic until eggplant is fully cooked.
- Place the ingredients in a greased casserole dish layer by layer in this order: eggplant mixture, ground beef, then cheese on top.
- If you would like it to be more creamy, then you can add 4 tablespoons of cooking cream.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 194 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 134mg Carbohydrates: 9g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 11g