Need a meal that’s an easy people-pleaser? Pizza is always a safe choice. Skip delivery and walk past the frozen foods aisle. Make homemade Quinoa Pizza Bowls instead!
Bonus: these Quinoa Pizza Bowls are even gluten free! (And could also be dairy free if you remove the cheese.)
Here’s the simplified version: swap your pizza dough for quinoa, and add an egg to hold everything together.
Here are the basic steps:
- Cook quinoa.
- Chop onion, garlic, mozzarella, and pepperoni.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, then add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Fill bowls and bake for 20 minutes.
I love this recipe because each person gets their own individual bowl. I can add extra spices to my husband’s dish, and even hide a few bell peppers or spinach leaves in the bowl for my kiddos. I can easily eliminate the cheese from one bowl for my lactose-free guest, and I never have to plan a menu for gluten-free guests because this meal is a winner.
“But wait,” you might be wondering. “Does this actually taste like pizza? Or is this just another healthy recipe that doesn’t actually taste good?” Great question!
Aside from swapping the dough for quinoa and adding one egg (which doesn’t really have much flavor), this tastes exactly like pizza! All the essential ingredients are there: cheese, pepperoni, onion, garlic, and Italian herbs.
You could add a scoop of tomato paste or pesto into your mixture for another burst of flavor. I even recommend that you dip each bite in a bit of tomato sauce for a full pizza experience.
Oh, and do you like to eat cold leftover pizza? These Quinoa Pizza Bowls are yummy right out of the fridge too!
- 2 cups quinoa (any variety), cooked
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ tsp seasoning salt
- 1 Tbsp pizza seasoning (basil, oregano, marjoram)
- Optional: ½ tsp cajun seasoning for an extra kick
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 cup mozzarella or Italian blend cheese, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup turkey pepperoni (approximately one 6oz package), roughly chopped
- Optional: pizza sauce for dipping
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions, usually around 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix the quinoa with the eggs, seasoning salt, and pizza seasoning.
- Dice onion, garlic, and pepperoni, then add to the bowl with the quinoa.
- Fill ramekins or mini oven-safe bowls with the mixture. Press with the back of a spoon to compress mixture into the bowl.
- Bake for 20 minutes for 6oz (4”x4”x4”) bowls. Adjust time if your bowls are slightly smaller or larger.
- Enjoy directly out of the bowl!
Store in the fridge for up to 7 days. Enjoy leftover reheated or cold!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 444Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 192mgSodium: 1815mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 34g