While I’m away on vacation, I want to fully savor my time! Which means I want to eat healthy without spending hours in the kitchen. Plus, rental apartments have fully equipped kitchens but minimal pantry staples.
I solve the first problem with simple meals that only require fresh ingredients. The second issue is resolved by always traveling with a multipurpose spice, such as Italian herbs or cajun seasoning.
One of my go-to travel meals is this fifteen minute homemade Hamburger Helper dish. Quick, simple, affordable, and filling—just the kind of dinner you want during vacation.
I boil pasta in one pot while I cook the meat in a skillet (topped with the seasoning I brought along).
Once the meat is finished, I add grape tomatoes and let the skillet simmer until the pasta is done. The fresh tomato flavor combined with it’s natural juices is a perfect combo with the meat!
Sometimes I add sauteed onion, bell peppers, corn, or zucchini for extra veggies. And many times we top our bowls with mozzarella cheese (because we love cheese!). But these are optional add-ons which only enhance this already tasty meal.
Next time you need a last-minute weeknight meal, or a 3-ingredient dish to cook on vacation, try this Quick and Easy Homemade Hamburger Helper!
For the meal
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes
- 2-3 cups of pasta
- Optional: onion, bell peppers, corn, zucchini
For the seasoning
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ Tbsp oregano
- ½ Tbsp basil
- Boil the pasta according to the package directions.
- Combine the ground beef with the herbs, and cook in a skillet over medium-high heat until cooked, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Slice the grape tomatoes in half and add to the skillet after the beef is fully cooked. Simmer on medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked pasta before serving.
- Optional: add steamed corn, diced bell peppers, and shredded mozzarella cheese if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 667Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 44g