Sometimes our family wants a nontraditional dinner. Kind of like Super Bowl Sunday or New Years Eve, when you graze on heavy appetizers instead of sitting down for a proper meal.
Our week was crazy, with extra hours at work and building evening commitments. To help us make it though until Saturday (sleep in and rest day!), I planned an out-of-the-norm dinner: kielbasa sliders with strawberry jalapeno jam, an assortment of cheese and crackers, and a refreshing fruit salad.
When my husband sat down to dinner, he was pleasantly surprised! It was a fun meal to linger over, and it helped us step away from the day’s stress.
When you need a break from your dinner routine, this is a fast weeknight meal. First, toast the bread while you brown the kielbasa. Then, it’s an assembly line of garlic, strawberry jalapeno jam, cream cheese or mozzarella cheese, and kielbasa.
The jam has a nice kick to it and a bit of heat, but the spice is significantly paired down when you use cream cheese or mozzarella cheese. If your crew enjoys heat, add a thick layer of jelly! But for lighter pallets, a thin layer combined with a thick layer of cheese will do the trick.
Gobble all of this up at once, because leftovers don’t keep well. If possible, only craft the number of sliders that you will eat. If you store the ingredients separately, then you can reassemble a fresh batch on leftovers day!
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 to matoes, diced
- ½ pound of ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- cooking cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place ground beef in a pan with a dash of salt and pepper. Heat until the beef is no longer red. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, cook the eggplant, tomatoes, olive oil, and garlic until eggplant is fully cooked.
- Place the ingredients in a greased casserole dish layer by layer in this order: eggplant mixture, ground beef, then cheese on top.
- If you would like it to be more creamy, then you can add 4 tablespoons of cooking cream.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 194 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 134mg Carbohydrates: 9g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 11g