Sometimes I’m in an earthy mood, where I crave the rich flavors of herbs. And not just a sprinkle of rosemary or a dash of basil, but a dish loaded with a blend of herbs. Which led me to the creation of Italian herb chicken.
I gathered my favorite herbs on the counter: oregano, basil and parsley are essential for an Italian blend; garlic and onion powder add freshness to the mix; paprika and celery salt are a bit nontraditional yet round off this combination; and lastly a dash of salt and pepper.
After swirling that mixture together, I knew it was going to be a winner! I lightly coated boneless, skinless chicken breasts with olive oil, and then rolled each piece in the bowl of mixed herbs.
My skillet was warmed and coated with extra virgin olive oil directly from Italy, another way this herbed chicken traveled into my kitchen from a foreign country. The chicken sizzled and the herbs crisped up as the chicken cooked. It was almost as if they herbs were searing the meat to trap in luscious flavors and plenty of moisture.
This herbed chicken is delicious thinly sliced over a salad or bowl of pasta, in true Italian fashion. It also pairs well with fresh vegetables.
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 to matoes, diced
- ½ pound of ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- cooking cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place ground beef in a pan with a dash of salt and pepper. Heat until the beef is no longer red. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, cook the eggplant, tomatoes, olive oil, and garlic until eggplant is fully cooked.
- Place the ingredients in a greased casserole dish layer by layer in this order: eggplant mixture, ground beef, then cheese on top.
- If you would like it to be more creamy, then you can add 4 tablespoons of cooking cream.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g