Sometimes I’m in an earthy mood, where I crave the rich flavors of herbs. And not just a sprinkle of rosemary or a dash of basil, but a dish loaded with a blend of herbs. Which led me to the creation of Italian herb chicken.
I gathered my favorite herbs on the counter: oregano, basil and parsley are essential for an Italian blend; garlic and onion powder add freshness to the mix; paprika and celery salt are a bit nontraditional yet round off this combination; and lastly a dash of salt and pepper.
After swirling that mixture together, I knew it was going to be a winner! I lightly coated boneless, skinless chicken breasts with olive oil, and then rolled each piece in the bowl of mixed herbs.
My skillet was warmed and coated with extra virgin olive oil directly from Italy, another way this herbed chicken traveled into my kitchen from a foreign country. The chicken sizzled and the herbs crisped up as the chicken cooked. It was almost as if they herbs were searing the meat to trap in luscious flavors and plenty of moisture.
This herbed chicken is delicious thinly sliced over a salad or bowl of pasta, in true Italian fashion. It also pairs well with fresh vegetables.
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus 1 Tbsp extra
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into slices
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp celery salt or ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Heat up 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Mix together all of the herbs in a small bowl.
- Lightly coat the chicken breast slices in the extra tablespoon of olive oil, then toss in the herbs until all pieces are evenly covered.
- Cook in the skillet, turning every 5 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.