When you’re in the mood for comfort food, opt for this quick homemade mushroom gravy! Put on a roast, boil some potatoes, and simmer a pot of corn. Top each with this warm, rich, dark gravy for an instantly satisfying dinner. It’s especially enjoyable on a mid-winter’s night.
Growing up, my mother always served brown gravy with mashed potatoes. Did your mother or grandmother pair those together too? If she made a roast, the drippings were used as a flavorful base for the gravy. But if there was no roast to match the mashed potatoes, she dumped contents out of a small, packaged pouch.
It seems like a store-bought pouch makes gravy instant. But in reality, homemade gravy takes roughly the same amount of time. Okay, perhaps it takes five extra minutes to chop the fresh vegetables. But those five minutes are worth every second once you savor the hearty, deep flavors of homemade mushroom gravy.
Begin by chopping and sauteing onion, garlic and mushrooms. Next, create a rue in the same skillet using butter and flour. Lastly, add in the broth and herbs, whisk until the mixture thickens, then allow it to simmer and meld together all of the glorious flavors.
At last, spoon the warm, rick, chunky, dark gravy over your moist roast, steaming mashed potatoes, and buttery corn. You won’t be disappointed that you took the extra five minutes to make homemade gravy instead of using a store-bought pouch.
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 to matoes, diced
- ½ pound of ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- cooking cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place ground beef in a pan with a dash of salt and pepper. Heat until the beef is no longer red. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, cook the eggplant, tomatoes, olive oil, and garlic until eggplant is fully cooked.
- Place the ingredients in a greased casserole dish layer by layer in this order: eggplant mixture, ground beef, then cheese on top.
- If you would like it to be more creamy, then you can add 4 tablespoons of cooking cream.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g