Soft, warm and chewy chocolate chip cookies are a splendid indulgence. The rich chocolate chips combined with the cake-y dough blend perfectly. The warm temperature makes them melt in your mouth like cotton candy.
Are you salivating yet? I know that I am!
If you know someone with a sweet tooth, then you understand how easily they can (and will) gobble up an entire plate of warm and gooey chocolate chip cookies.
One time I made a small batch for an evening treat. I ate 2 cookies (maybe 3) and my husband ate the other 9 or 10…all in one sitting! (Sorry for throwing you under the bus, babe!) I desire to feed my family delicious and nutritious foods, so I had to find a way to make these cookies healthier.
That’s where bananas became my secret ingredient. Bananas are a direct substitute for butter!
That’s why I’m sharing this recipe with you. Because healthy chocolate chip cookies shouldn’t take excessive work or tasty gross. These are fast (10-15 minute prep) and taste amazing! I don’t mind if my husband eats 10 of these cake-y treats. Plus, according to him, “these cookies even offer a whole serving of fruit!”
Healthy Chocolate Chip (Banana) Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of mashed banana (2 bananas)
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (12-oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions for COOKIES:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the mashed bananas, can sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Then add the eggs one at a time.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon heaping tablespoons of the dough onto ungreased baking pans, separating by at least 2 inches. (Makes roughly 5 dozen cookies)
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until the edges are golden and the center is firm.
- Allow to sit on the baking pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Directions for COOKIE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease your 9×11 pan.
- Prepare the dough as listed above. Then pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick can be cleanly removed. The edges should be golden and the center should be firm.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- If you don’t want to make 5 dozen cookies, cut the recipe in half.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- These will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Live at a high altitude above 5200 feet? Modify by using 2 ½ cups of flour, ⅔ cup cane sugar and ⅔ cup of brown sugar, and add 2 tsp of water to the mixture. Bake cookies for only 8-10 minutes.
1 thought on “Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies (with Banana!)”
I love this recipe. I use at as a base for a lot of different cookies. Use dried cranberries or dried cherries. I also add peanut butter to this recipe.