As Spring turns to Summer, my cooking shifts from dried Winter herbs to tropical sauces – like these pork chops and pineapple slices in a thick Hawaiian sauce!
Normally these type of sauces are created as a marinade, and then the meat is grilled. But I haven’t prepared my grill for the change of seasons so I opted to bake this recipe instead. An added benefit of baking this dish is that the meat not only marinates in the sauce, it also cooks in it, causing it to thicken and meld flavors with the meat and pineapple.
Homemade sauces and marinades are easy to make, cheaper than the alternative store-bought version, and don’t include unwanted preservatives. This sauce has a base of soy sauce and honey, both of which complement the pineapple. It also includes arrowroot powder or cornstarch to slightly thicken this sauce, appropriately making it like a Hawaiian glaze. (Hint: Do you enjoy extra thick sauces? Add an extra tablespoon of honey and 1-2 more teaspoons of arrowroot powder or cornstarch.)
This tropical dish pairs well with sweet potatoes, sauteed onions, rice or quinoa. Feeling extra wild? Toss some fresh mango or canned peaches into your rice or quinoa and sprinkle with paprika or Cajun seasoning.
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 to matoes, diced
- ½ pound of ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- cooking cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place ground beef in a pan with a dash of salt and pepper. Heat until the beef is no longer red. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, cook the eggplant, tomatoes, olive oil, and garlic until eggplant is fully cooked.
- Place the ingredients in a greased casserole dish layer by layer in this order: eggplant mixture, ground beef, then cheese on top.
- If you would like it to be more creamy, then you can add 4 tablespoons of cooking cream.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g