Why spend extra money on boxed granola bars at the store when you can make your own with this tasty, easy granola bar recipe? The best thing about the recipe is that you can customize it anyway you want. Don’t like raisins? Use the nuts instead! Not a fan of cranberries? Swap it out for another dried fruit. In less than an hour, you’ll have delicious granola bars straight from the oven.
Granola Bar Recipe
Cook time: 50 minutes
Makes: 18 bars
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- ¾ cup toasted wheat germ
- ¾ cup chopped nuts or raisins
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp. packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 325F. Spray 13” by 9” metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line pan with foil, with ends extending 2 inches over short sides of pan, spray foil.
- In glass pie plate, spread oats, microwave on High, in 1-minute increments, 4 to 5 minutes or until fragrant and golden, stirring occasionally. Cool to room temperature.
- In large bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, nuts, cranberries, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir in honey, oil and egg whites until well mixed. Transfer to prepared pan. Using wet hand, press into even layer.
- Bake 32 to 35 minutes or until dark golden. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- When cool, use foil to transfer to cutting board. Cut lengthwise into 6 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into thirds. (You should have roughly 4 ¼ by 1 ½ bars). Store in tightly sealed container at room temperature up to 1 week or in freezer up to 1 month.