A few years ago my father-in-law pampered my family a huge breakfast spread. He knew I love bacon, so he made an extra large batch. (Plus, he loves bacon too!) He also made a large skillet of scrambled eggs with cheese – one of my husband’s favorites. My mother-in-law helped by whipping up a deliciously creamy fruit smoothie.
But the star of the show was the jelly roll!
My father-in-law grew up eating this family favorite recipe, and he recreated it as a special treat for his family. It looked elaborate and time-consuming and oh-so-fancy! But I watched him bake it and knew that it took about 10 minutes of work, 15 minutes in the oven, and an extra dose of patience.
We gobbled up the jelly roll that morning, amazed at it’s cakey texture and rich jelly flavor. There were a few slices left over, which were stored in the fridge until the next morning. After warming it up in the microwave, I was pleasantly surprised that it tasted just as delicious the next day!
If you want to make a special breakfast, this jelly roll is perfect! Here’s a few tips:
- Be sure to line the pan with parchment paper. If the cake breaks while coming out of the pan, it will be much more difficult to roll.
- Never touch the jelly roll with your hands, especially while rolling! Only touch it with the towel coated in powdered sugar.
- Gently slice it using a large serrated knife and a sawing motion.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cup sugar
- 5 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 1 cup jelly, flavor of your choice, softened
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 370F. (Yes, that’s supposed to be 370, not 375!)
- Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper. Butter the parchment paper, and lightly sprinkle with flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Beat the eggs until light.
- Mix in the sugar and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour into the pan line with parchment paper, making sure the batter spreads evenly across the pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until an inserted toothpick removes cleanly.
- While baking, lay out a dish towel on your counter and thoroughly coat it with approximately 1-2 cups of powdered sugar.
- After the cake is done, immediately turn it over onto the towel covered with powdered sugar. Gently remove the parchment paper.
- Immediately spread the cake with the softened butter, then the jelly.
- Holding the towel (not the cake), begin to gently roll the cake. As you roll, continue to touch the towel and not the cake.
- Once it’s completely rolled, gently cut into 1 inch slices using a serrated knife. Sprinkle with the remaining powdered sugar.
Be sure to line the pan with parchment paper. If the cake breaks while coming out of the pan, it will be much more difficult to roll.
Never touch the jelly roll with your hands, especially while rolling! Only touch it with the towel coated in powdered sugar.
Gently slice it using a large serrated knife and a sawing motion.
Experiment with different flavors of jelly: grape, strawberry, peach, or apple!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 776Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 359mgCarbohydrates: 164gFiber: 1gSugar: 145gProtein: 4g