I always thought that endives are meant for salads only. I have never tried any baked or cooked endives recipes until my friend made this delicious Endives and Ham Gratin recipe. I have to admit that I am not a fan of endives because of their bitter taste. But once I tasted this gratin, I could not help and cook it over and over. Besides, it is really quick to prepare and you know that I like when recipes are quick to make. Between all the extracurricular activities, weekend skiing and work, cooking is pushed down to my to do daily list. Recipes have to be really quick.
Endive and Ham Gratin Recipe
Affiliate links include in this endives recipe.
- 8 Endives halved lengthwise
- 2 TSP of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of sugar,
- salt and pepper
Ingredients for Bechamel Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup of milk. I used a 2%. You can use skim milk
- 3 TBSP of butter
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated Gruyère cheese.
- Ground nutmeg, to taste
- 16 slices ham . You can use turkey or chicken.
- 16X9 Baking dish
- Aluminum foil
- Pot for the Bechamel sauce
Make this yummy endive recipe
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a large baking dish: ( I used a 13X9 one), place the endives. Top with lemon juice and sugar. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until endives are tender
While the endives are baking, prepare the Bchamel sauce:
- Set aside
- In the end, add the cheese and stir
- Add the milk, nutmeg and bring to boil. Stir continuously
- Sprinkle the flour while stirring
- In a medium, melt the butter
- Once endives baked, add the ham slices and top with Bechamel sauce.
- Switch the oven to the broiler position
- Broil for few minutes
It is best served as an appetizer for your holiday gathering. You can serve it with rice or grilled meat.
As expected, the kids did not like the endive recipe. It was too newish for them and did not want to be adventurous. But they LOVED the Bechamel sauce with the ham. They almost fought over it. My daughter dipped her bread in the Bechamel sauce and added ham so it was like a sandwich. Next time, I think we’ll try it with homemade garlic bread!
What do you think of this endive and ham gratin recipe? Have you ever tried endives? Share your endives recipe with us