Cucumbers are tricky. You can enjoy it’s crisp taste all by itself. But, like most things, it’s also yummy with a dip. You can top a salad or a sandwich with cucumbers as well. But sometimes I have a cucumber in my fridge and don’t know what to do with it. Which is how I crafted this simple yet luxurious salad.
Four ingredients: cucumber, cheddar cheese, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), and dill. I knew that cucumber needed to be eaten, and my taste buds were craving cheddar cheese. I wanted to whip up a side dish, so a creamy cold sauce could go on top. And then I’d find an herb to pair with the mixture that would seal the deal like a bow on a package.
Cucumber and cheddar cheese go together like peanut butter and jelly, although most people wouldn’t naturally put their flavors together. Dried dill is a distinct herb that complements cheddar cheese and embraces the crisp flavor of cucumber. Lastly, sour cream (or Greek yogurt) makes an excellent base for a sauce that doesn’t compete with the other flavors; besides, I use olive oil for everything so it’s about time I find another sauce.
Mix everything together in a bowl and enjoy it cold. You could add grape tomatoes or thin slices of red onion if desired. Keeping it simple tastes amazing!
- 1 medium cucumber, any kind
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, diced
- 2-4 Tbsp sour cream
- 1-2 tsp dried dill
- Peel the cucumber and slice into small bite-sized pieces. (Hint: Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise, and then slice each of those in half lengthwise to get 4 long strips. Chop each of those strips into bite-sized pieces.)
- Dice the cheddar cheese into pieces the same size as your cucumber chunks.
- In a bowl, combine the sour cream and dried dill. Then toss your cucumber and cheddar cheese in the sour cream.
- Serve immediately. Tastes best when chilled!
You can sub the sour cream with Greek yogurt.
Fresh dill can be used in this recipe as well.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 87Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g