If you’ve read any of my previous recipes, you’ll notice a trend: cajun seasoning is always an option for spices and seasonings. That’s because my husband and daughter prefer that flavor to nearly any other.
Pasta? Good with cajun seasoning. Soup? Great with cajun seasoning. Oatmeal? Why not add cajun seasoning! (I’m kidding about this one, although it wouldn’t surprise me if they tried it.)
So when I wanted to make a chicken and pasta dish with a creamy sauce, I knew that I’d have to experiment with cajun seasoning. And it turned out to be a hit at our dinner table!
Thankfully, the recipe is quick and simple, requiring only 20 minutes to prep and less than 10 ingredients.
First, chop the chicken and coat in cajun seasoning. Cook in a skillet with diced onion for about 5 minutes. Add in the broth, tomatoes, and pasta and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the cream cheese to create a lavish creamy sauce, and ta-da! A one-pot meal of creamy cajun chicken pasta.
It’s perfect for the weeknight when you get home late from work or a school event. It’s easy and tasty enough to make for guests. And the ingredients are mainly from the pantry, which is a life saver when you’re desperate for a trip to the grocery store.
Caution: The cajun seasoning can be a bit spicy. If you’re unsure how “hot” it will be, be conservative with the seasoning. You can always add more to your bowl! And unfortunately, the cream cheese does not drastically reduce the spice level.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken, diced into ½ inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can (15 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 cups broth
- ½ lb pasta
- 3 oz cream cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium or medium-high heat.
- Toss the chicken in the cajun seasoning until evenly coated. Add chicken to the skillet.
- While cooking, dice the onion and add to the skillet. The chicken and onions should be finished cooking after approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice (do not drain), broth, and pasta to the skillet. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- After the pasta is cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed, stir in the cream cheese until melted. Serve immediately.
Caution: The cajun seasoning can be a bit spicy. If you’re unsure how “hot” it will be, be conservative . You can always add more later!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 537 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 132mg Sodium: 1191mg Carbohydrates: 28g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 36g