The first tendrils of Autumn have trickled down my street. The ombre leaves are gleaning their last few weeks of warm sunshine. Birds trill their appreciation for the afternoon rain. The blue skies are more crisp than the pages of a freshly printed book.
Nature’s Fall festivities make me crave crockpot stew and a mug of homemade apple cider. So this morning I assembled this easy family favorite with my slow cooker.
First, onions. Even if you’re not a fan of onions, add them to this recipe. They add oodles of flavor and texture to this stew.
Then, round steak. This particular cut of meat is more affordable than more steaks, but requires hours of slow cooking. That’s why this stew simmers all day long.
Last, the remaining veggies. No stew is complete without potatoes and carrots, of course! But experiment with your own taste: sweet potatoes, apples, mushrooms, etc.
Pour a generous amount of broth on top and then let your crockpot do the work. (Although you will have to work hard to resist the tempting aromas all afternoon!)
Take your stew up a notch by thickening the gravy thirty minutes before serving. It’s simple: remove two cups of broth and stir in arrowroot powder (or cornstarch, or flour). Then pour that mixture back into the crockpot and stir. In thirty minutes, your stew will be thick and wonderful instead of watery.
Comforting Round Steak Stew
A hearty meat-and-three meal for a rainy day. Roughly chop the veggies, add meat and broth to the crockpot, and let it slow cook all day long.
- 1 round steak
- 1 onion
- 6 medium potatoes (any variety)
- 4 large carrots
- 6 cups of broth
- Optional: mushrooms, canned tomatoes, apples, sweet potatoes
- 1½ Tbsp arrowroot powder/cornstarch
- Cut the onion into slices and place on the bottom of the crockpot.
- Layer the round steak on top of the onions. Season with salt and pepper (or Montreal seasoning).
- Place the diced potatoes and carrots (and other veggies, if using) on top.
- Pour broth on top.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, remove 2 cups of broth. Stir arrowroot powder/cornstarch into the reserved broth, and then stir it back into the crockpot to help the gravy thicken.
For Autumn flavors, sub sweet potatoes for potatoes and sub diced apples for mushrooms.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 622Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 646mgCarbohydrates: 117gFiber: 11gSugar: 19gProtein: 24g