One of my favorite holiday side dishes is green bean casserole. First of all, nearly half of Americans have purchased green beans in the past year, making it a fairly popular choice. I also appreciate how incredibly simple this fancy side dish is, which is why I often volunteer to make it for every holiday meal.
Green beans are tender and offer a mild flavor. Canned green beans offer a super soft texture, while frozen ones hold their bean-shape better. Either work for this recipe, just ensure they are well-drained of any liquid.
The only other ingredient? Cream of mushroom soup. Make this a clean green bean casserole by using Homemade Cream of Anything Soup. Just a few ingredients, like milk and herbs and bullion, combine into a healthier version of the canned alternative. Heat it up on the stove or in the microwave to thicken, then stir together with your green beans.
Green beans pair with fried onions the way peanut butter matches jelly. Even the pickiest of eaters tend to crunch on those crispy fried onions. Bake as normal, then top with delicious crispy fried onions. Purchase an organic brand, or make your own! They’re an easy homemade topping: slice an onion, dredge in flour, then fry in butter. Simple, clean, and yummy.
Green bean casserole has always been simple to make, but now it’s even easier to make it clean!
- 28 oz green beans (2 standard cans, drained. Or 2 standard frozen bags, steamed and drained.)
- 1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup (or 1 serving of Homemade Cream of Anything Soup)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 can (6oz) of organic crispy fried onions (or 1 homemade serving)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Drain green beans and lay in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Stir the soup and pepper in with the green beans.
- Layer half of the onions on top, then bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of the onions over the casserole before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 71Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 275mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g