Happy Chinese New Year! Celebrate the day by indulging your family and guests in a delicious healthy recipe, like this Chili Coconut Stir Fry from Blue Dragon.
Did you know that Chinese New Year is one of the most important days in China? As the name implies, it’s the first day of the new calender. It’s also a day of great celebration, with huge parades showcasing spectacular floats. While we’re not fortunate enough to catch one of these awesome parades, we can still celebrate Chinese New Year in our own way.
What’s better than a stir fry during cold winter days! It is easy to prepare and if you toss your favorite vegetables, you will have a an easy healthy recipe within 15 minutes! Okay, maybe 30 minute with vegetable chopping! A stir fry is also a great way to celebrate Chinese New Year! It’s a staple in Chinese kitchens! This recipe is a bit spicy, so you may want to tone it down a bit for the little ones if they’re not fans of hot food. My husband and I love spicy food! We don’t eat it often because the kids won’t join us and I don’t want to cook two meals. Still, to celebrate Chinese New Year, I wanted to cook something special, something I do not usually cook during the year! Besides we are planning on inviting some friends over for this special occasion! A hot spicy meal is great for a get together too!
Easy Healthy Recipe for Chinese New Year: Chili Coconut Stir Fry
This recipe was inspired from this Blue Dragon recipe.
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- 2 chicken breasts cut into very thin stripes! You can dice them if you want (this is what I did).
- 1 red pepper sliced
- The original recipe called for green beans but I did not happen to have them on hand! I replaced with mushroom. Usually I dice my mushrooms too but I preferred to have them as a whole!
- 1 Blue Dragon Chili Coconut Stir Fry Sauce
How to prepare it:
- In a large wok, heat oil and stir fry the chicken for 2 minutes or until it is no longer pink
- Add the peppers and mushroom and stir fry for an extra minutes. Don’t overcook because you want to keep vegetables crunchy
- Add the sauce and let simmer for a minute. Make sure to mix all the ingredients together so the sauce reaches everything
- Serve over a bowl of rice or noodles. I served with egg noodles. It is a delight to the palate!
It’s the first time I try this coconut sauce! I love the combination of spicy and the flavor of coconut! The coconut flavor was not too pronounced. It was just perfect! If you find it too spicy, you can mix with the noodles or rice, it will alleviate the spice but I loved it as is!
Since I made a large quantity I used it for my husband’s lunches. Even my son who will turn 13 soon, was adventurous enough to try! He loved every bit of it!
How do you celebrate Chinese New Year? Do you have any special dishes you love to create for the holiday?
Disclosure: I am part of the Blue Dragon Ambassador program with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.