My mom is a sucker for homemade pancakes, especially if they are light and fluffy. Arguably, that’s the only way a pancake should be!
I’d been making homemade pancakes and waffles for years and they had always been tasty. But I recently had some leftover buttermilk and my mom suggested I use it to make buttermilk pancakes. And let me tell you, buttermilk is the secret ingredient!
Plenty of restaurants serve buttermilk pancakes or biscuits, which always taste amazing, but the homemade variety is even better!
If you’re out of buttermilk, don’t fret! Make buttermilk by combining milk with lemon juice or white vinegar. Let sit for a few minutes and you’ll be left with a perfectly agreeable buttermilk substitute.
As with most recipes, mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl, and the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl, then combine the wet and dry ingredients together until you get a smooth batter.
Heat up a griddle or cast iron skillet, then place a generous dollop of batter into the pan. We like to top our pancakes with chocolate chips or blueberries, but they are so yummy that add-ons aren’t necessary. Flip with the edges begin to bubble. And eat immediately while they are still hot!
Make a double batch: one to enjoy now, and one to freeze for later. To reheat, take a buttermilk pancake right from the freezer and into your toaster oven or microwave.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk (*homemade recipe in the notes below)
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- Heat a large skillet or griddle to medium heat.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Gradually whisk in buttermilk and melted butter.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. (A few lumps are okay.)
- If necessary, smear the pan/griddle with butter to keep the pancakes from sticking. Drop ¼ cup of batter per pancake.
- When the edges begin to bubble and pop (approximately 2 minutes), flip over. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Keep warm in the oven until all pancakes are cooked.
Homemade buttermilk: 2 cups of milk + 2 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice OR 2 Tbsp white vinegar. Stir, then let sit for 5-10 minutes before using in a recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 365Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 488mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 9g