Who knew that two ingredients could transform chicken from plain-Jane to a homerun outta the ballpark!
This recipe was inspired by one of my brothers. When he’s visiting, he always requests my mom’s popular grape jelly meatballs–which she simmers in the crockpot all afternoon.
I wasn’t making meatballs for dinner, but I was planning on cooking chicken. If grape jelly meatballs taste so amazing, was there a chance that it would be just as delicious on chicken? I was going to find out.
First, I diced up my chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. That’s not necessary, but I think my mind was thinking about meatballs, plus smaller pieces of meat cook faster than a whole breast. I cooked them in a cast iron skillet with salt and pepper.
Once they were fully cooked, I smothered them with grape jelly and barbecue sauce. After just a minute, the grape jelly had melted, so I turned down the heat to low. I let the chicken simmer for about ten minutes, stirring every few minutes to make sure the chicken was fully coated in the flavorful mixture.
Now it was testing time. Would they be as good as mom’s grape jelly meatballs? I took a bite.
Let’s just say I’m grateful when I experiment in the kitchen. These barbecue grape jelly chicken bites blew me away!
BBQ Grape Jelly Chicken Bites
Transform your plain-Jane weeknight chicken dinner into a homerun outta the ballpark by adding two ingredients: grape jelly and BBQ sauce!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in 1 inch chunks
- ¼ cup grape jelly
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- Optional: ¼-½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Slice chicken into 1 inch chunks. (Tip: It’s easier to use kitchen scissors to cut the chicken instead of a knife.)
- Salt and pepper chicken. Cook in a skillet over medium-high heat until fully cooked, about 8 minutes.
- Once cooked, stir in the grape jelly and BBQ sauce. Optional: add in the red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 10 minutes.
Pairs well with mashed potatoes, green beans, and biscuits.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 274mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 37g